This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2706 / 52°16'14"N
Longitude: -1.5208 / 1°31'14"W
OS Eastings: 432795
OS Northings: 263712
OS Grid: SP327637
Mapcode National: GBR 6NR.LB2
Mapcode Global: VHBXQ.L6C6
Plus Code: 9C4W7FCH+6M
Entry Name: Church of Saint Margaret
Listing Date: 11 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308240
Location: Whitnash, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV31
Civil Parish: Whitnash
Built-Up Area: Whitnash
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Whitnash St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
WHITNASH Whitnash Road (east side)
Church of Saint Margaret
Parish church. Except for late C15 west tower, the church was rebuilt by Sir G
G Scott in the C19; chancel 1855, south aisle and south porch 1867, nave (after
his death) in 1880. Sandstone tower of two stages with moulded plinth, embattled
parapet and diagonal buttresses. West doorway with four-centred head; immedia-
tely above is window of three-trefoil lights. Rest of church is of brickwork
faced with ashlar. Steep pitched tiled roof of trussed rafters. Tracery
windows of trefoil lights except for lancets to north and south side of chancel.
Entrances to porch and south aisle have arches of two continuous orders on
moulded capitals and bases with red sandstone shafts. Interior: Richly carved
arcade and chancel arch capitals, pulpit and font dated 1848 and relief carving
around the altar, all by Agnes Bonham. Piscina and sedilia with cinquefoil
heads and hood-moulds on south side chancel. Carving done by Miss Agnes Bonham.
Monuments: Fixed to south wall chancel is a brass 24" high with two figures in
civilian costume of c.1500 assigned to Benedict Medley (d.1503) and his wife.
On north wall, an incised brass of a cleric holding a chalice with a paten
assigned to Richard Bennet, M.A., Rector, died 1531. Victorian pulpit on south
side chancel arch, with carved trefoil panels, coloured marble shafts, and an
octagonal stem of coloured marble shafts with carved capitals. Victorian font
to west of south door (dated 1848). Stained glass by Hollard (east window) and
Alfred Bell (later of Clayton and Bell) 1856 in north window of chancel.
Listing NGR: SP3279563712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings