This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.479 / 52°28'44"N
Longitude: -1.4724 / 1°28'20"W
OS Eastings: 435927
OS Northings: 286919
OS Grid: SP359869
Mapcode National: GBR 6L9.DLJ
Mapcode Global: VHBWL.FYFG
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 1 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365052
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308597
Location: Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV12
District: Nuneaton and Bedworth
Town: Nuneaton and Bedworth
Electoral Ward/Division: Bede
Built-Up Area: Bedworth
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Bedworth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH HIGH STREET
SP38NE (West side)
5/57 Church of All Saints
Church. C14/C15 tower. Remainder of church rebuilt 1888-1890. Designed by G.F.
Bodley and T. Garner. Tower of local sandstone ashlar. Remainder of red Runcorn
sandstone ashlar. Plain-tile roofs have parapets with moulded cornices and coped
gable parapets, with gablet kneelers to porches. Aisled nave, chancel, south
chancel chapel, north vestries, north transept, north and south porches, west
tower. Perpendicular style. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Splay and moulded plinth
throughout. Chancel has large east buttresses of 2 offsets and large gablets.
Large 5-light window with Tudor flower decoration, moulded sill course and hood
mould. Cross finial. North vestries are of 2 storeys to east. 2 straight-headed
windows of 2 trefoiled lights. 3-light segmental-pointed window above.
Shallow-pitched gable. Embattled octagonal turret in angle of chancel. North
side has small chamfered doorway with hood mould and plank door. Straight-headed
window above and to left and larger window west of buttress are of 2 lights with
reticulated tracery. North transept has buttresses of 2 offsets to north west
and south west corners. 4-light window. Gable has pinnacle. Return sides have
embattled parapets. 4-bay north aisle has 2 buttresses with gablets. North west
porch has diagonal buttresses. Doorway has continuous chamfered outer order and
moulded inner order with half-octagonal responds, and hood mould. Mid C20
part-glazed doors to both porches. Three 2-light windows. 3-light west windows
to both aisles. South aisle and chancel chapel in one. 4-light east and 3-light
south east windows are straight-headed with reticulated tracery. South west
porch has angle buttresses with gablets and doorway of 2 chamfered orders. Aisle
has buttresses and two 2-light windows. Nave gable has gablet kneelers and
turret with ogee gables, pinnacles and spirelet. Tower of one large stage.
Moulded plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets. Low west doorway of 2
chamfered orders has hood mould and C19 studded 6-panelled door. 3-light west
window has restored tracery. Small straight-headed opening above. Large 2-light
bell-chamber openings have transom and louvres. To west upper part is covered by
a square slate clock-face in moulded sandstone frame, probably early C19. East
side has similar clock-face dated 1817 in Gothick surround. Segmental-arched
opening below. Embattled parapet with small pinnacles. Interior is plastered.
Arches of 2 chamfered orders have responds and half-shafts between each bay with
moulded capitals. Chancel has north and south arches, and small low chamfered
arches. North side has large internal mullioned window with king mullion and
central transom, trefoiled lights and hood mould. Chancel and nave have arched
brace roofs. Chancel arch of 3 orders, the outer segmental pointed. 5-bay
arcades have continuous hood moulds. Tower arch of 2 chamfered segmental pointed
arches. Aisles have segmental-pointed doorways. Arches to chapels. North chapel,
now vestry, has coved timber east gallery with traceried balustrade. Large east
opening onto it has elaborate timber tracery. Fittings: traceried reredos,
sanctuary panelling, altar rails, stalls and octagonal pulpit. Octagonal front.
Rood screen of 1929. North vestry screen of 1933. Stained glass: east window
1890. Monuments: chancel south wall: Elizabeth Howlett 1776. John Howlett 1820;
signed Seager, Coventry. Simple architectural frames and panels.
(VCH: Warwickshire, Vol VI, p29; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p89;
Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1894, p32)
Listing NGR: SP3592786919
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings