History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Swan House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wye, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1827 / 51°10'57"N

Longitude: 0.9356 / 0°56'8"E

OS Eastings: 605264

OS Northings: 146706

OS Grid: TR052467

Mapcode National: GBR SXQ.WXF

Mapcode Global: VHKKH.5JHP

Plus Code: 9F325WMP+37

Entry Name: Old Swan House

Listing Date: 27 November 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365318

English Heritage Legacy ID: 409844

Location: Wye with Hinxhill, Ashford, Kent, TN25

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Wye with Hinxhill

Built-Up Area: Wye

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in


(south side)

8/187 Nos. 134-140
(even) Old
27.11.57 Swan House)


House, now cottage row. C15 origin, altered and extended C16-C18. Timber
framed on red brick base with some flint and rubble, part exposed with
plaster infill and weatherboarded, mostly rendered. Tile hung rear range.
Plain tiled roof. Hall house plan in origin, since C18 4 cottages. Two
storeys on plinth, with continuous jetty (underbuilt to centre right) on
brackets carved as grotesques and gryphons, and cherubs bearing Coat of
Arms of Swann family. Ovolo moulded bressumer. Coved eaves cornice to roof,
stepped down to end right bay, and hipped with stacks to end rear left and
to right. Hipped dormer to right return. Four glazing bar sashes and
tripartite glazing bar sashes to left and to right on 1st floor, 3 glazing
bar sashes, that to Centre with segmental frame, on ground floor, and mullion
and transomed C19 canted bay to left, and tripartite sash to right in C16
canted bay (now flush with underbuilt wall surface). Half-glazed door to
left, early C18 panelled doors to centre left in wooden Gibbs surround, to
centre right in fluted surround with pedimented hood on gryphon brackets, to
right with pediment on brackets, and at end right with mullioned rectangular
fanlight, all with steps; simple rails to centre left. Right return with
recently exposed 5 light mullioned and transomed 1st floor window, and 5
light Venetian-derivative on ground floor, with plank and stud door in fine
moulded and stop-chamfered doorway. Rear, with catslide outshot and rear
hipped wings. The main block, particularly to the east (No. 140 is a very
narrow single room in depth, backed by immense stack. Interior: the
plastered outer wall disguises several surviving mullioned windows. Finely
moulded interior beams, much cut into by conversion C18 to 4 houses. The
construction and decorative details of No. 140 suggest an earlier separate
building here. "Tudor" bosses in ceiling to No. 138. Stone carved fireplaces
especially No. 140 (similar to work in Wye College). The Swan family lived
here C16-C18. The Coat of Arms on the jetty bracket and carved on the fire-
place was granted 1533; the main body of the continuous-jettied building is
unlikely to predate this. (See G.A. Worrall, Wye Local History Magazine,
BOE Kent II, 507).

Listing NGR: TR0525746709

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.