This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3414 / 51°20'29"N
Longitude: -1.6318 / 1°37'54"W
OS Eastings: 425744
OS Northings: 160325
OS Grid: SU257603
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZH.VMQ
Mapcode Global: VHC23.NKP0
Plus Code: 9C3W89R9+H7
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 30 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310750
Location: Grafton, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Grafton
Built-Up Area: East Grafton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Tagged with: Church building
GRAFTON THE GREEN, East Grafton
SU 26 SE
5/30 Church of St. Nicholas
Anglican parish church. 1844, by Benjamin Ferrey. Limestone
ashlar and square rubble, slate roof. Norman (i.e. of Normandy)
revival, said to be based on Thaon, Normandy. Nave and aisles,
short chancel and apse. Tower over west end of north aisle. West
door in 2 recessed orders with nook shafts. Chevrons, bowtell and
twisted roll. West window over also with light chevron, and
flanking intersecting blind arcade. Pair of attached shafts
without top divide elevation from aisle and tower. Side elevation
of 5 bays defined by broad flat pilasters connecting plinth and
corbel table. Simple round-arched windows with continuous string.
Clerestory similar but narrow lights with incised moulded heads.
Apse also similar but alternate corbels of table are grotesques.
Tower of 3 stages, open twin lights to bellstage and parapet corbel
table with pronounced gargoyles. Pyramidal roof. The whole is a
triumph of a normally difficult revival style, and significant in
Interior: Nave of 5 bays, varied scalloped capitals and 2 plain
orders arches. Wall shafts above on corbels support bracketed ties
and arch-braced principals roof. Blind chevron arch at east and
west ends of nave. Chancel raised 3 steps; 2-bay barrel vault and
apsidal end. Tall blind arcading between embrasures, also with
nook shafts. Encaustic tiles paving. Aisles with plain arch
buttresses to nave arcade. Fittings: Font, limestone arcaded bowl
on square base. Inscription cast in rim of lead lining. Pulpit;
oak, open intersecting arcading and iron handrail to steps. In
sanctuary, marble credence table on Romanesque style column. Also
Romanesque timber wall arcading remaining from choir stalls, now
replaced. Organ by Bevington of London. Glass: Good apsidal
windows depicting St Margaret, St Nicholas and Resurrection in
centre. Aisle glass mostly of 1856. West window by Willement.
Monuments: North Aisle: Limestone Gothic aedicule, 1846, to
PHILIP SELFE. Nave: War memorial in black and white marbles.
(Reference: Antiq. and Architect. Year Book 1844, 339-349.
Builder 1844, 207.
Listing NGR: SU2574460325
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings