This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2943 / 51°17'39"N
Longitude: -1.8071 / 1°48'25"W
OS Eastings: 413548
OS Northings: 155039
OS Grid: SU135550
Mapcode National: GBR 4YH.ZXG
Mapcode Global: VHB4R.MQJM
Plus Code: 9C3W75VV+P5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311086
Location: Upavon, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Upavon
Built-Up Area: Upavon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Upavon St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 15 NW
2/137 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. Early C13, early C15, and restorations in
1875 by T.H. Wyatt (chancel) and J.P. Seddon (Nave). Flint, and
banded limestone ashlar. Tiled roofs. Nave, north aisle with
north porch, chancel with south vestry, and west tower. Chancel is
late C12-early C13 with 3 round headed windows, two being in east
wall and C19 central window perhaps replacing larger central C13
window. Windows are rebated externally and have apparently been
reset in C19 works. Nave restored 1875 and south aisle removed
earlier than 1865 and arcade blocked. Three-light Geometric
windows. Triple C19 lancets with trefoiled heads to north aisle.
Large C13 west tower with roll moulded west door and 3-light
intersecting tracery window over. Tower of 4 stages, double
rebated lancets to ringing chamber and crenellated parapet on
Interior: Chancel has narrow arch with pointed head and chevron
and billet decoration, not apparently reset. Flanking round squint
arches, reduced to pointed arches in chancel. Nave has 5 bay roof
of C15 replacing earlier steeper pitched roof. C13 arcade of 4
bays on north, the eastern arch on a pier perhaps to a separate
chapel. Round columns and capitals with arches of 2 chamfered
orders. South side arcade of 3 arches only, now blocked. Tall
arch to tower rising from widely chamfered imposts and with stone
seats. Stair in north wall. C19 encaustic tiles in sanctuary.
Fittings: under tower arch, good late C12-early C13 font,
octagonal with foliated crosses, lions and an Annunciation in a
late Romanesque style. It stands on 5 clustered columns. C19 wood
cover. Pulpit, C19. Simple piscina and sedilia. Late C16 altar
table and C19 brass altar rail. A second altar in the north aisle
is a C17 chest, now containing fragmented stone wheel cross.
Monuments: Chancel: Wall tablet. Carrara marble, by W. Marshall.
Swept top, to Francis Giffard and wife, he died 1827.
In vestry: Limestone tablet on bracket, to Thomas Chandler, died
1752, and two C19-early C20 brasses.
In north aisle; five wall tablets, reading from east:
a) White marble on veined black. Scroll suspended from arrow,
leaves over, to Thomas Alexander, died 1863.
b) White-casket on black, curved top with acroteriae, to Sarah
Lampard, died 1837.
c) Limestone. C18. Four oval panels in line, to Simon Jarvis
d) White marble square, to William Alexander, died 1786, wife and
e) White sarcophagus on black, to Rev. John Pyke, died 1839.
Also four brasses erected by the Central Flying School, Upavon,
to officers killed on duty 1913, 1914 and 1927. Three painted wood
charity boards, two relate to enclosure allotments of 1804.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England - Wiltshire.)
Listing NGR: SU1354855039
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings