This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4858 / 51°29'8"N
Longitude: -1.8497 / 1°50'58"W
OS Eastings: 410534
OS Northings: 176327
OS Grid: SU105763
Mapcode National: GBR 3TT.TCQ
Mapcode Global: VHB3R.WXJC
Plus Code: 9C3WF5P2+84
Entry Name: Church of St Peter Ad Vincula
Listing Date: 27 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365589
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311264
Location: Broad Hinton, Wiltshire, SN4
Civil Parish: Broad Hinton
Built-Up Area: Broad Hinton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 17 NW BROAD HINTON CHURCH LANE
2/20 Church of St. Peter ad Vincula
Anglican parish church. C13, C15, 1634-5, restored 1879-80 by
C.E. Ponting. Graded sarsen boulders and stones, chancel coursed
squared sarsen. Tower of limestone ashlar. Stone slate roofs
and some lead. Nave and south porch. North vestry of 1843.
Chancel C12 rebuilt 1879, with south organ chamber of 1880. C15
west tower. Porch C17, restored C19 with side lights and sundial
in gable over 2-centred arched door. Inner door C13, 2-centred
and with hood moulded with flattened leaf terminals. Nave and
chancel have lancets, C17 but including some reused stone, and some
paired, with C19 hood mouldings. Stepped triple lancets at east.
Organ chamber, formerly a chapel, has re-set C13 round arched door.
West tower of 3 stages, with angle buttresses and a west door with
a large 3-light window over. Crenellated parapet with crocketed
pinnacles. Stair in south-east angle rises above parapet.
Interior: Nave wide and rich, replacing former arcades. Five-bay
tie beam trusses with hammer beams at collar level and many carved
pendents, all of 1634-5. Rood stair in north wall and piscina in
south wall. Some re-set fragments including a C12 carved window
head, a moulded C13 arch, and impost capital with leaves. Further
west another arch head. C19 chancel arch leads to 3-bay chancel
with fine C19 pine roof of arched braced collar trusses and heavy
windbraces. Window sill lowered as sedilia and large painted
piscina. C19. Original chancel arch reset as opening to organ
chamber. Four floor slabs, two with indents.
Fittings: Font, C19, octagonal and stencilled. Pulpit, 1843,
incorporating earlier rail and linenfold panels, and painted
inscription. Simple unfixed low chair screens. Pews and choir
stalls C19. Organ by Bryceson Bros. Inlaid marble C19 reredos.
Furniture: C18 three-drawer dresser in nave, and carved C19 seat
in chancel with 2 late C17 basket backed chairs and a stool.
Glass: Four chancel windows by Clayton and Bell.
Monuments: Nave, north wall: marble aedicule, C18, pilasters
supporting open pediment and arched panel with putto over, to Ann
Hughes, died 1786. Inlaid limestone tablet to John Smith, 1879,
and Gothic wall monument to Mary Ruddle Brown and child by Osmond
of Sarum, 1832. South side; limestone 6-poster monument of 1597
to Sir Thomas Wroughton, sheriff, he, without hands, kneeling with
wife behind in widow's hood on table of tomb, their 8 children on
frieze below. Asymmetrical arches with angels in spandrels
supporting entablature and crestings. Three early C19 tablets,
Rev. William Andrews by Franklin of Purton, and two Hughes tablets
by King of Bath. In chancel, north side; white marble wall
monument, C17 a tablet flanked by pilasters supporting segmental
pediment and coloured arms, to William Glanville, died 1680 and
wife who bore 26 years "sine querela actos". Recessed monument
with rounded top and bottom, containing full-size armed figure of
Col. F. Glanville, speaker of the House of Commons, killed at
Battle of Bridgewater, 1645. He is of alabaster, flanked with
helm and gauntlets, and holds a metal staff and cloth banner.
Above, his actual helmet and gauntlets, and his sword over arms.
At east end a limestone tablet with open ogee pediment and arms,
and scroll supports to a recessed slate panel to John Glanville,
servant at law to Charles I and II, died 1673. On south side, an
important wall tomb, 1559. A chest with 3 quatrefoiled panels,
each with arms, and above an arch with panelled soffite with
incised emblems of the Passion, flanked by pilasters carrying
entablature with ligatured legend to ELISABETH BE THE GRACE OF GOD
QUENE OF ENGLAND THE OF FRANCES. Pea pods flank central arms with
angel supporters. On rear, in organ chamber, a strapwork panel
with inscription to Sir William Wroughton. Also wall tablet.
Early C18, white marble, panel flanked by pilasters supporting
segmental pediment and arms, to Mrs Frances Stone, nee Gibbs.
Wall tablet in organ chamber, 1866, by King of Bath, to William
Brown. Brass of 1826 and behind pulpit a brass of 1682 to the
Paris family and ancestors. At west end of nave, two commandment
boards, and 3 hatchments with further one under tower. Also under
tower, 3 benefaction boards of C18 and C19 recording charities of
1614, 1741 and 1848-50, and Royal Arms of mid C18. Miscellaneous:
In organ chamber, a wall tomb, C13-C14, re-set, and in porch, a
coffin with head recess.
(VCH, xii.116f: Pevsner, Buildings of England - Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: SU1053376326
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings