This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0698 / 54°4'11"N
Longitude: -1.5003 / 1°30'1"W
OS Eastings: 432799
OS Northings: 463877
OS Grid: SE327638
Mapcode National: GBR KPYC.ZV
Mapcode Global: WHC81.XYRX
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 29 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331759
Location: Burton Leonard, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Burton Leonard
Built-Up Area: Burton Leonard
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Burton Leonard St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 36 SW BURTON LEONARD MILL LANE
3/2 Church of St Leonard
Church. 1878. Ashlar, red clay tile roof. 3-bay nave with south porch and
west bellcote, 2-bay chancel. In Gothic style. 2- and 3-light Decorated.
traceried windows with hoodmoulds, moulded string at sill level, stepped
buttresses to angles and between bays. Double-chamfered arch to porch,
blind tracery and a statue in a niche above. Paired 2-light window to west
end, 5-light east window. Bellcote with single bell under a pediment
surmounted by a cross. Interior: high and wide chancel arch with painted
lettering above. The east window has an Ascension scene and is signed ,
"J. B. CAPRONNIER BRUXELLES FECIT 1879". The church stands on the site of
2 earlier structures, the first completed by 1242, and rebuilt in 1782. The
present church was built largely at the expense of Mr James Brown of
Copgrove Hall; a notice on the church door indicates that a £60 grant was
received from the Incorporated Society for Building of Churches in 1877.
H F Diggle, Burton Leonard Church Centenary leaflet, 1978.
Listing NGR: SE3279963877
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings