History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cotham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4623 / 51°27'44"N

Longitude: -2.6045 / 2°36'16"W

OS Eastings: 358100

OS Northings: 173880

OS Grid: ST581738

Mapcode National: GBR C5G.YM

Mapcode Global: VH88M.SHZT

Entry Name: Cotham House

Listing Date: 25 April 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366061

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379419

Location: Bristol, BS6

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Cotham St Saviour with St Mary and St Paul, Clifton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5873NW COTHAM HILL, Cotham
901-1/4/1158 (South side)
25/04/90 Cotham House

II

House, now nurses' home. Mid C19, remodelled 1905 for Sir
George White. Limestone ashlar and render, rendered lateral
and axial stacks, and a slate and pantile hipped roof.
Double-depth plan, service wing at an angle to the right. 2
storeys and cellar; 10-window range.
An asymmetrical garden front has a banded ashlar ground floor
to a dentil cornice, rendered first floor to a frieze,
modillion cornice and parapet, and the remains of a blind
balustrade above the door. The left end breaks forward with a
3-light bow; open central porch has paired 3/4 Ionic columns,
to an overlight and 2-leaf panelled door. Ground-floor windows
have fluted keys and a moulded sill band, plain first-floor
windows, with plate-glass sashes.
The road front has an asymmetrical elevation with 2 wide
5-light bows and a band of vermiculated stone, and a curved
2-storey porch at the left end in the angle with the service
wing, with curved Pennant steps, Tuscan distyle-in-antis
entrance to a doorway with an architrave, stained-glass
fanlight and 7-panel door, and flanking windows; above,
pilasters frame a mullion and transom window with elliptical
heads and timber cornices, the top lights leaded and stained.
Over the bows is a vermiculated band and pediment with dentil
blocks. Sevice wing to the left of the door.
INTERIOR: a fine and complete Edwardian interior with
elaborate plaster ceilings, fine mahogany joinery and
parquetry floors: left-hand stair hall has an open-well stair
with fluted column-on-vase balusters, curtail and wreathed and
ramped rail; the service wing has a stair with column newels
and a ramped rail; good panelled doors with swagged pediments,
room to front right has walnut doors, panelling and fireplace;
good fireplaces with overmantels and mirrors, and a club
fender; principal rear room has stone columns to the bay;
bathrooms and cloakrooms have marble panels; brick vaulted
cellars.
HISTORICAL NOTE: remodelled by Sir George White, the
industrialist. One of the first houses to be fitted with
electrical lighting.


Listing NGR: ST5810073879

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.