This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9819 / 51°58'54"N
Longitude: 0.9616 / 0°57'41"E
OS Eastings: 603480
OS Northings: 235634
OS Grid: TM034356
Mapcode National: GBR SM2.PY7
Mapcode Global: VHKFM.MG71
Plus Code: 9F32XXJ6+QM
Entry Name: Barhams Manor
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Last Amended: 29 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366100
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277257
Location: Higham, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: Higham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Higham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
Tagged with: Manor house
HIGHAM THE GREEN
TM 03 NW
22.2.55 (formerly listed as Green
House. Front range c.1500 with C16 and later additions to rear,remodelled late
C18. C19 rear service range. Timber-framed, rendered, with C19 section in red
brick in Flemish bond. Stacks white brick to front range, otherwise red. Plain
tile roofs except slate to front pitch of main range. Front range originally
formed open hall with cross wings, original through passage to right with later
stack inserted can still be traced. Two added lower cross wings to rear, that to
right linked with Cl9 service block by single-storey brick porch. Two storeys,
front range 7 bays arranged 220.127.116.11.2, centre and outer bays break forward slightly.
Central Doric porch with 6-panel door in architrave. Tripartite bows with sashes
with glazing bars to outer bays, otherwise slightly recessed 12-pane sashes with
sills. Mutule cornice. Central pediment. Roof hipped over outer bays. Similar
bow window and other detailing to right return. Gabled rear wings, that to right
has C19 canted bay with sashes with arched upper panes. Above a 3-light casement
flanked by ovolo mullion side lights. Steeply pitched swept roofs. Single-
storey painted brick porch with 6-panel door in pilastered doorcase links with rear
service range /grain store which retains some original openings under cambered
gauged arches, garden front has one original entrance but otherwise blank except
for 2 C20 upper windows. Interior: entrance hall oval on plan with round arches to
stairhall and front rooms. Stairhall remodelled 1930s, with staircase balustrade
of that date. Large C16 chamfered beam with step stop relating to flooring over of
hall. Section of open truss exposed above, chamfered cambered tie beam with large
hollow chamfered arch brace to one side. Tie beam truncated. Front room to left
retains complete scheme of C18 panelling. Original rear entrance survives in part
above steps to later cellar. Reused C17 panelling forms dado to 1st floor landing.
First floor front room to left has C17 panelling framing two large sections of C16
wall painting with interlaced octagons in black on a white ground with pomegranate
and flower motifs in red surmounted by a wide border with Renaissance motifs.
Further painting may survive under panelling. Cambered bressummer of former
fireplace to outer wall. Rear rooms contain further C17 and C18 panelling. roof
reconstructed at time of late C18 remodelling, incorporating several smoke-blackened
rafters and a truncated octagonal crown post with shaped base. C18 roof originally
M-shaped, apex flattened C20.
Pevsner, N, Suffolk, 2nd ed, 1974, pp.271-2.
Lloyd, N, A history of the English House, 1931, p.79, Fig 696 illustrates wall
painting which Lloyd describes as 'a rude variation from that of the ceiling in
Cardinal Wolsey's closet at Hampton Court (c.1525) but probably of later date'.
Listing NGR: TM0348035634
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings