This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6597 / 51°39'34"N
Longitude: -2.6434 / 2°38'36"W
OS Eastings: 355591
OS Northings: 195847
OS Grid: ST555958
Mapcode National: GBR JN.6PSJ
Mapcode Global: VH87N.4KD2
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Peter
Listing Date: 7 August 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366270
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354540
Location: Tidenham, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, NP16
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Tidenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tidenham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 59 NE
10/189 Church of St Mary and
Anglican parish church. C13 and C14 with extensive restoration in 1858 by John
Norton. Rubble, slate roofs to coped gables. Large west tower, nave, chancel, south
porch, north aisle and vestry. Plain tower in two stages with clamp buttresses to
half height and stair turret in south west clamp to full height, small lancets south
and west, 2-light, 4-centred louvred belfry openings, south porch in two storeys,
rebuilt C19, has 2-light Kentish tracery over doorway, inner door with colonnettes
and stiff-leaf a rebuilt C13 one. Nave south side has 2-light C14 ogee-headed
window with eccentric double-wave hood, left of porch, then 2-light C19 and 3-light
C15 window; chancel 1-light C14 as left-hand nave window and another 2-light C14,
and priest's door off-centre, left with 3-centred head and double roll moulding.
East window 3-light C19 in Decorated style between clamp buttresses. North aisle
with 3-light late C13, then on north side 3 cusped lancets grouped to east end,
and simple pointed door, right; west wall a 3-light C14 design, and boiler flue.
Two rain-water heads dated 1858. Interior: tower floor of memorial slabs, lancets
have very deep splay to semi-circular rere arches, donations boards include reference
to ten shillings annual sum by Mrs Bridget Madocke to maintenance of family monument
in churchyard (qv). Nave in 5 bays with arch-braced roof and wind-bracing and a
heavy arch-brace at chancel arch, 4-bay plain chamfered C13 arcade; north aisle with
pointed barrel roof, 3 corbels on nave arcade, not centred to arches and c500 mm
below plate level and a rood-loft opening which is not visible on the nave side,
cusped piscina in east wall, also 2 small square glass panels. Chancel roof
compound arch-brace and barrel with wind-braces; to north is flat arch to organ
loft/vestry, and one bay of arcade as in nave, to aisle sanctuary. In the small
window by the pulpit, some glass of 1310 with coat of arms of John ap Adam, including
date MCCCX, another window in south west of nave to Seys family of Stroat House
(qv), includes two bold angels. Font is round lead bowl of C12, one of six such
in Gloucestershire, with figures and initials in arcade of 12 arches, set on C18
carved round base. Pews, fittings and most glass of C19.
(D Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).
Listing NGR: ST5559195847
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings