History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gate Piers and Gates, About 22 Metres North North West of the Church, and All of the Boundary Walls and Other Gateways, Church of Saint Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Bruton, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1118 / 51°6'42"N

Longitude: -2.4525 / 2°27'8"W

OS Eastings: 368422

OS Northings: 134816

OS Grid: ST684348

Mapcode National: GBR MX.BBGH

Mapcode Global: VH8BG.FBV2

Plus Code: 9C3V4G6X+P2

Entry Name: The Gate Piers and Gates, About 22 Metres North North West of the Church, and All of the Boundary Walls and Other Gateways, Church of Saint Mary

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366338

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261676

Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Bruton

Built-Up Area: Bruton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in


The gate piers and gates, about
22 metres North North West of the
Church, and all of the boundary
walls and other gateways, Church
of Saint Mary

Boundary walls with gate piers and gates. Mostly C18 and C19. Local and Doulting stone, with cast iron gates. North
boundary wall averages 2.5 metres high, with coursed rubble capped with pitched coping stones; near gates a plaque
recording flood levels; central gate piers of square ashlar with pyramidal caps on which are set C20 wrought iron
lights; fine pair cast iron gates in Gothic style; similar gate piers in North West corner, with ashlar sweep wall to
Vicarage (qv), C20 wooden gates. West wall averages 2 metres high, with stepped pitched coping; rubble, with some old
tombstones set in. South wall has vertical stone copings to rubble, again with tombstones set in; opposite East wall
of chancel is a 4-centred arched gateway, possibly the private gateway for the Berkeley family, owners of the former
Abbey; to left of gateway is fragment of chest tomb of Thomas Hill, died 1637. East wall also rubble, rather lower in
average height. The North and East walls are important elements in the street scene; the South and West walls define
the limits between churchyard and Bruton Abbey, finally demolished in 1786. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey
Press, Sherborne 1972).

Listing NGR: ST6839334794

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.