This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1071 / 51°6'25"N
Longitude: -2.4843 / 2°29'3"W
OS Eastings: 366190
OS Northings: 134310
OS Grid: ST661343
Mapcode National: GBR MW.BGDW
Mapcode Global: VH8BF.WFJN
Plus Code: 9C3V4G48+R7
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 24 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366339
English Heritage Legacy ID: 261678
Location: Bruton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA10
Civil Parish: Bruton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST63SE WYKE CHAMPFLOWER
5/206 Church of the Holy Trinity
Church. Dated 1623. Local stone rubble, rendered, with Doulting stone dressings; cedar shingle roof between coped
gables. Single- cell plan, 3 bays, with projecting North porch of 2 storeys. East elevation has a 3-light window in
slight almost semi-circular arched recess with label; South elevation has two 3-light hollow chamfered mullioned
windows with flat heads and labels over; North elevation has two similar windows, the lights having trefoil cusped
heads; bay 3 has the porch, with cambered arched moulded doorway under square label, with small shields in the
spandrils marked "S/HE" and "1623", and above a 2-light mullioned window to match; inside the porch a similar but more
elaborate doorway with original panelled and boarded door; West end abuts the Manor House (qv); it is crowned by a
small bell turret detailed like a full church tower, two stages above ridge with offset corner buttresses and
battlements, and crowned with a windvane. The interior totally of C17, with a 3-centre arched plaster vault with
timber ribs and bosses with shields, with painted timber tympanum between nave and chancel bearing coats of arms; some
old stained glass in the East window, and below and on return walls of chancel boarded dado panels; altar rail with
simple turned balusters - which could be C19 - a reredos with the Commandments behind a later crucifix, all crowned
with strapwork decoration; set high in East wall two painted stone panels with heavy frames inscribed "Domus mea" and
"Domus orationis": the Nave has good box pews, with hat pegs on walls, and fine stone pulpit in Classical style, with
panelled pilasters, strapwork decoration, foliage decorated frieze and cornice; octagonal font on stand dated 1945, but
ogee cupula cover and suspension gear is C17. Fine monument in Classical style in chancel, black and white marble with
colouring, Corinthian columns carrying broken segmental pediment with achievement of arms, commemorating Henry
Southworth, Esquire, Lord of the Manor of Wyke, who "at his owne charge builte and adorned this Chappell", died 1625.
A chapel "built in the time of the war" was recorded in Bruton Priory archives in the third quarter of C12. (Couzens
P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).
Listing NGR: ST6619334307
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings