This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8939 / 50°53'38"N
Longitude: -2.8927 / 2°53'33"W
OS Eastings: 337313
OS Northings: 110870
OS Grid: ST373108
Mapcode National: GBR MB.RT53
Mapcode Global: FRA 46TR.4VJ
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262147
Location: Cudworth, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Cudworth
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Cudworth
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
2/20 Church of St Michael
Anglican parish church. C12 origins, with north doorway and one small window of that period. C13 nave and chancel with
C14 and C15 modifications. Local lias stone rubble with Ham stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs between stepped
ccoed gables: west bell turret. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle. Chancel has plinth,
angled corner buttresses and 2 full-height buttresses on north side, but none on south: the east window a 3 light 'Y'
tracary window of C14 under arched headstop label; the east window of south wall a 2-light of early Geometric tracery
in slightly hollowed recess without label, and to west a C19 single lancet; in north wall a C14 traceried 2-light
window under arched headstop label to east, and single lancet to west; possibly C19. Nave has buttresses to south-west
corners, and two towards extremities of south wall; the windows in that wall both 3-light, the eastern in deep hollowed
recess with very early Perpendicular tracery, the west having later Perpendicular tracery and set in shallower recess
under arched headstop label; between these a blocked chamfered segmental-pointed arched doorway with former statue
niche over, above this being the water tabling for a previous proch: in the west nave wall a C19 doorway in rectangular
recess without label, above which is a 3-light C15 pattern traceried window in deep hollowed recess - the whole of this
wall apparently a C19 rebui1d: the bell turret has a pitched stone roof and pointed-arched apertures for 2 bells, both
of C17 date. North aisle has lancet windows - on north wall a pair towards east end, then a single cusped lancet and a
plain lancet flanking a C12 doorway having single sideshafts, roll-and-recess moulded arch with label: the tympanum
mostly plain but incorporating some stones with acanthus-type decoration: in east wall a 3-light almost
Curvilinear-traceried window in slight recess, under which is a very small C12 window apparently with round-headed
recess internally west wall plain. Interior not accessible, but reported is the low 3-bay arcade of irregular spans of
octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches; no chancel arch but traces of a C16 rood screen: nave ceiling opened out
and new roof to aisle in 1904; C20 carvings in chancel. Fittings include large early C13 font with dog-tooth and
cable-mould decoration: Jacobean pulpit; fragments of pre-Reformation altar top and a carved and painted statue niche:
mutilated C13 tomb top. Inscribed memorial to Sarah Smyth d 1684. Fragments of medieval glass in east window of north
aisle. First mention of church cl186-88. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958: VCH Somerset,
Vol IV, l978, pp146-7).
Listing NGR: ST3731310870
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings