This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8974 / 50°53'50"N
Longitude: -2.9242 / 2°55'27"W
OS Eastings: 335100
OS Northings: 111285
OS Grid: ST351112
Mapcode National: GBR M8.RQZP
Mapcode Global: FRA 46RQ.QLJ
Plus Code: 9C2VV3WG+X8
Entry Name: Former Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366430
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262193
Location: Knowle St. Giles, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Knowle St. Giles
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Cricket Malherbie with Knowle St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
KNOWLE ST G1LES CP PINKHAM HILL (North side, off)
Former Church of St Giles
Former Anglican parish church, undergoing conversion into house (September l986). C20 origins, but totally rebuilt, the
nave cl840 by Lewis Vulliamy, the chancel cl843, probably by J.M Allen, curate-in-charge. has stone ashlar; Welsh slate
roofs between coped gables, the chancel having an ornamental clay tiled ridge; former 2-bell turret at west end.
Two-unit plan. Chancel a scholarly essay in C13/C14 style, with plinth, cill course, corner buttresses triple lancet
east window, cusped lancet north windows; on south side a single and a double cusped lancet, all without labels. North
east corner vestry has pointed-arched east doorway with curl-stop label, up 5 steps, and 3 cusped lancets in north
wall. Nave of 5 bays; plinth, bay and corner buttresses; one plain lancet each bay, and 2 in west gable with a buttress
between. South porch has angled corner buttresses and C14 style outer arch with side shifts and dogtooth ornament,
label with headstops moulded inner arch. Inside, the chancel has exposed rafter and scissor truss ceiling, side shafts
to window reveals, a sedilia in the south wall, and a stone credence shelf in cinquefoil-cusped recess in north wall.
Small Gothic-style fireplace in corner of vestry, which gives access to very finely decorated stone oriel pulpit on
east wall of nave. Nave has hammerbeam truss roof. Other details stripped out, but it is understood that the details
mentioned are to be retained after conversion. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset,1958: VCH
Somerset, Vol IV, l958, pp162-3).
Listing NGR: ST3510011285
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings