This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9036 / 52°54'12"N
Longitude: -2.4833 / 2°28'59"W
OS Eastings: 367587
OS Northings: 334126
OS Grid: SJ675341
Mapcode National: GBR 7V.P39F
Mapcode Global: WH9C3.T8NW
Plus Code: 9C4VWG38+CM
Entry Name: Number 14 High Street and Number 2 Church Street
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366462
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260357
Location: Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Market Drayton
Built-Up Area: Market Drayton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Market Drayton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
MARKET DRAYTON C.P.
HIGH STREET (south-west side)
House, now shop. Early C18, incorporating C17 core and partly altered
in the early to mid-C19. Red brick (painted at rear) with some grey
sandstone ashlar dressings, probably incorporating a timber framed core.
Plain tile roof. L-plan. 2 bays with rear wing of one bay. 2 storeys
and attic. Moulded stone plinth with late C20 tiling, dentil brick
cornice at first floor level (possibly former eaves cornice), rebuilt
parapet with moulded red sandstone coping (and section of moulded grey
sandstone coping to left) and left-hand return front with toothed-brick
eaves cornice and returned toothed-brick verge. Brick ridge stack just
off-centre to left and brick ridge stack to rear range. Pair of dormers
that to left gabled with 2-light leaded wooden casement and that to
right a lean-to against No. 15 (q.v.) with a single light. 4 bays.
First-floor c.1700 glazing bar sashes (with thick bars) with exposed boxes,
and painted stone cills and lintels. Ground-floor left-hand window
with late C20 top-opening casement and painted stone cill and lintel.
Late C19 canted shop- front to right with late C20 tiles to base, 1:2:1
lights with thin circular wooden mullions, and fascia above. Central
half-glazed door with mid-C19 panelled surround. Three steps up with
late C20 tiling and railings to left. Left-hand return front: 6-pane
attic window to right with painted stone cill and lintel. First-and
ground-floor glazing bar sashes to left, each with painted stone cill
and lintel. Roughly central door with surround consisting of reeded
architrave with roundels at corners and moulded cornice to small hood.
Inserted late C20 panelled door to left. Rear: first-floor c.1700
wooden cross window with small leaded quarries. Interior: C17 collar
and tie-beam roof trusses with queen struts. Early C18 dog-leg staircase
at rear of stack with closed string, turned balusters and square newel
posts. C17 oak winder stair to attic. Rear wing with pair of chamfered
spine beams, one with run out stops. Old oak floorboards. Ground
floor at front not inspected. It is possible that the parapet is a
late C18 addition (see straight joint to left) and that the building
formerly had an eaves cornice with parapeted gables. The left-hand
end wall is a rebuilding of the early to the mid-C19 (see straight joist
to right). Includes No. 2 Church Street.
Listing NGR: SJ6758734126
Other nearby listed buildings