History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade I Listed Building in Cardington, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5519 / 52°33'6"N

Longitude: -2.7295 / 2°43'46"W

OS Eastings: 350634

OS Northings: 295149

OS Grid: SO506951

Mapcode National: GBR BK.D8QN

Mapcode Global: VH83B.M4W0

Plus Code: 9C4VH72C+Q6

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366702

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259552

Location: Cardington, Shropshire, SY6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Cardington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cardington

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Hope Bowdler



12/11 Church of St. James


Parish church. C12 nave and c.1300 chancel in one, C13 west tower
with C14 belfry; south porch dated 1639; chancel restored in 1863
and whole restored 1867-9; porch restored in 1868. Coursed and uncoursed
yellow/grey sandstone rubble with grey sandstone ashlar dressings;
tower limewashed and cement rendered with dressed grey sandstone belfry
and parapet; plain tile roof. Tower: 3 stages; chamfered plinth and
string courses, battlemented parapet with chamfered coping, and pyramidal
cap with weathervane; straight-sided arched belfry openings with 2
louvred trefoil-headed lights and transoms; second-stage arched openings
with 2 louvred chamfered lancet lights, partly blocked to west and
blocked to south with clock dated 1860; first-stage chamfered west
lancet. Nave; south side: 3 restored C14 windows with 2 trefoil-
headed lights and Y-tracery, small chamfered lancet off-centre to
left and tall C12 round-arched window high up off-centre to right;
C12 round-arched south doorway to left of lancet has one order of
shafts with moulded bases and carved capitals (one with stiff leaf),
and nail-studded boarded door with strap hinges, inscribed: " CW /
16 A 48 RC WB"; restored timber framed south porch with chamfered
stone plinth (raised at sides to form low cill), formerly open sides
with turned balusters (inserted C20 glazing), carved scroll brackets
supporting moulded bressumer dated:
carved struts in gable, moulded barge W
boards, and pair of C19 gates with ID PP
turned balusters; blocked former 16 39
C12 south doorway or side-chapel arch
in centre of nave (apex interrupted by inserted C14 window above)
with chamfered reveals, and carved red sandstone stiff leaf capital
to left; North side: restored C14 window to left with 2 trefoil-headed
lights and Y-tracery; narrow C12 round-arched window high up off-
centre to left, and 2 blocked C12 round-arched doorways, one in centre
and one to right with large red sandstone tympanum. Chancel: double-
chamfered plinth to east and parapeted gable end with cross at apex;
south side: chamfered lancet to left and 2-light window to right with
Y-tracery; north side: 2-light window to left with Y-tracery and chamfered
lancet to right; east end: window with 3 stepped lancet lights under
one arch and chamfered recessed stone in apex of gable above said
to be dated 1863 (illegible at time of survey - September 1985).
Straight joints between nave and chancel in north and south walls;
evidence of herringbone masonry in north wall of nave. Interior:
5-bay roof: tie-beam trusses with cusped struts, collars with cusped
braces and crownposts, and sets of 3 ogee-stopped chamfered purlins
with 2 tiers of cusped windbraces; 4-bay chancel roof with billet-
decorated frieze, moulded arch-braced collar-trusses (middle one with
moulded tie-beam too), pairs of chamfered purlins with quatrefoils
formed by cusped wind braces between; C19 ashlar masonry in walls dividing
nave and chancel with billet-decorated tie-beam and panelled ceilure
with quatrefoils; C13 tower arch of 2 orders with inner hollow-chamfered
and outer roll-moulded with fillet; C13 cinquefoiled piscina with
chamfered arch and 2 quatrefoil-shaped bowls; square aumbry to north;
plastered nave and stripped chancel; Fittings: wooden reredos of 1868;
C19 altar rails; C19 eagle lectern; C19 choir stalls, C17 octagonal
wooden pulpit with primitively carved mermen in panels; C19 pews,
some with carved initials and place-names (possibly some reused C17
work); stone font of 1868 in memory of the Rev. William Jones Hughes
M.A. (d. 1865) has triple shafted stem with moulded bases and chamfered
capitals, round bowl with chamfered top, and octagonal wooden cover;
C17 parish chest; monuments: Chief Justice Leighton (d. 1607) of Plaish
with figure stiffly reclining on side, arch behind with strapwork
cartouche above and kneeling figures of family on tomb chest; several
C18 and early C19 stone and brass tablets. D. H. S. Cranage, An architectural
account of the churches of Shropshire, Part 2, pp.77-9 B.0.E., pp.818-9;
Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1913), pp.516-7.

Listing NGR: SO5063295148

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.