This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6129 / 52°36'46"N
Longitude: -2.6899 / 2°41'23"W
OS Eastings: 353382
OS Northings: 301898
OS Grid: SJ533018
Mapcode National: GBR BM.8DGR
Mapcode Global: WH8C7.NL98
Entry Name: Acton Burnell Castle
Listing Date: 13 June 1958
Last Amended: 14 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259654
Location: Acton Burnell, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Acton Burnell
Built-Up Area: Acton Burnell
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Acton Burnell
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
ACTON BURNELL C.P. ACTON BURNELL
SJ 50 SW
6/3 Acton Burnell Castle
(formerly listed as Ruins
of Acton Burnell Castle)
Fortified manor house, remains of. 1284-5 for Robert Burnell (died
1292) with some late C18 alterations. Roughly squared and coursed
red and grey sandstone with ashlar dressings; C18 stone slate hipped
roofs over west block and south-west tower. 4-bay central block
formerly with first-floor 3-bay hall and one-bay chamber over ground-
floor buttery and service chambers; small projecting garderobe block
to west; projecting square corner towers: formerly containing garde-
robe to north-west, stairs to upper chambers to south-west; possible chapel and
stairs to hall to north-east, and stairs to undercroft to south-east.
2 and 3 storeys with 4-storey towers. Battlemented parapets; towers
with moulded plinth and chamfered offsets. Large 2-light windows with
cusped geometrical tracery, ground floor lancets to north; rectangular
openings to towers. Disturbed masonry to central block is evidence of
former buttresses; there was formerly a 2-span roof, springing from
corbels and a now-demolished central hall arcade. Robert Burnell was
Chancellor of England and Bishop of Bath and Wells; he also built a
large palace at Wells with which the design of Acton Burnell has some
affinities. The ruins were used as a barn in the C18 when the large
depressed archways were created in the north and south walls. To
the east of the house stand the gable ends of a large C13 stone barn
(County A.M. No.la) (not included on this list) and the Church of
St Mary (q.v.) lies immediately to the north-west. County A.M. No.1 .
C.A. Ralegh Radford, Acton Burnell Castle, H.M.S.O., 1977; B.o.E.,
Pp.47-9; Ed A.P. Detsicas, Collectanea Historica, Maidstone: Kent
Archaelogical Society (1981), Pp.85-92; Archaelogical Journal, Vol.
138 (1981), Pp.31-2.
Listing NGR: SJ5338201898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings