This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8569 / 52°51'24"N
Longitude: -2.5816 / 2°34'53"W
OS Eastings: 360936
OS Northings: 328976
OS Grid: SJ609289
Mapcode National: GBR 7Q.S3FK
Mapcode Global: WH9C8.9GX6
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 10 February 1959
Last Amended: 25 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366812
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260221
Location: Hodnet, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Hodnet
Built-Up Area: Hodnet
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Hodnet
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 6028-6128; 13/67
The Old Rectory
(Formerly listed as The Rectory)
Rectory, now house. 1812, but looks c.1830-40, by Edward Haycock for
Bishop Heber. Red brick with painted red sandstone dressings. Plain
tile roof. T-plan. Tudor Gothic style. Two storeys and attic.
Chamfered stone plinth, moulded stone eaves cornice, and parapeted
gable ends with chamfered copings, trefoil-panelled. gabled kneelers
and obelisk finials. External brick end stack to right, brick ridge
stack off-centre to right, and rear wing with two brick ridge stacks and
two external brick end stacks; each with diagonally-placed brick shafts.
2:1:2 bays; small-paned wooden cross windows with chamfered reveals
and returned hoodmoulds. Central gabled break with small rectangular
attic window; projecting first-floor wooden cross window with gabled
lead top, and pair of half-glazed doors; sandstone ashlar porch with
chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets, moulded
cornice, battlemented parapet with chamfered coping, and continuously chamfered
Tudor-arched entrance. Left-hand gable end: small rectangular attic
casement, projecting first-floor wooden cross window and ground-floor
canted wooden bay. 3-bay rear wing. Large late C19 addition to north-
west. Interior not inspected but staircase noted, consisting of 3
flights, open string with cut brackets, stick balusters and wreathed
handrail. The house is said to have been built for Bishop Heber
when he was rector of Hodnet. Colvin, p. 406.
Listing NGR: SJ6093628976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings