This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8918 / 52°53'30"N
Longitude: -2.4807 / 2°28'50"W
OS Eastings: 367755
OS Northings: 332811
OS Grid: SJ677328
Mapcode National: GBR 7V.PXLL
Mapcode Global: WH9C3.VKWY
Plus Code: 9C4VVGR9+PP
Entry Name: Pell Wall Stables
Listing Date: 25 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260282
Location: Sutton upon Tern, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Sutton upon Tern
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Little Drayton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SUTTON UPON TERN C.P. NEWPORT ROAD (west
SJ 63 SE side)
3/124 Pell Wall Stables
Stable block and coach house. Dated 1902, by Fred Lynde of Manchester for
James Munro Walker. Orange brick with grey sandstone dressings (some painted).
Planted timbers to first floors with plastered panels. Hipped slate roofs.
Square courtyard plan. South-east (entrance) front: one storey. Chamfered
blue brick plinth, battered buttresses with chamfered offsets, and roof with
2 pairs of louvered triangular dormer-ventilators and lourvered gablets at each
end. 4:1:4 bays; 3-light stone mullioned windows with chamfered top and bottom
reveals. Projecting central entrance with battered sides, round archway with
impost bands and keystone, and parapeted gable with coping and lozenge-shaped
datestone in apex: "JMW/1902". One remaining boarded gate with ramped top
rail. Barrel-vaulted archway with lattice-ribbed soffit. Central octagonal
wooden cuploa consisting of battered base with fishscale tile hanging, round
arches with impost blocks and keys, ramped balustrade with lozenge shaped balusters,
dentil and moulded wooden cornice and copper-covered ogee dome with wrought-
iron weathervane. Clocks to front and rear. Courtyard; rear of front range:
continuously overhanging eaves with cast-iron brackets and central open gable
with brattished cambered collar and planted timbers in apex. 3 + 3 stable
doors with 3-part rectangular overlights. Side ranges: one storey and attic.
Small-paned wooden cross windows and stable doors with 3-part rectangular over-
lights. Pairs of gabled semi dormers with 3-light wooden casements and brattished
cambered collars. Rear (coach house) range: 2 storeys. Central square
wooden dovecote consisting of base with fishscale tile hanging and top with
2 tiers of openings and gable to each face with planted timbers. 2 brick stacks.
7 first-floor 2-light wooden casements. 5 ground-floor former carriage openings
with brick piers, right-hand pair still retaining boarded doors but 3 to left
blocked with small-paned wooden cross windows flanking stable door with overlight.
Though passageway off-centre to right with window to its right. Continuous
glazed verandah with central cast-iron column. Interiors of side ranges with
loose boxes. A painted inscription on the wall within the entrance archway
reads: "ERECTED MAY-NOV. 1902/FRED.C.LYNDE.A.M.INST.C.E./ARCHITECT/MANCHESTER
THOMAS BROAD LIMITED/CONTRACTORS/GT.MALVERN." James Munro Walker bought Pell
Wall c.1901. These buildings are thought locally to have been built as racing
stables. The 1838 tithe map shows earlier structures on the site of the present
buildings. Marcus Binney, Our Vanishing Heritage. p.34; Tithe map of Drayton-
in-Hales Parish (1838), Shropshire Records Office, 2885/4-5.
Listing NGR: SJ6775532811
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings