This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7112 / 52°42'40"N
Longitude: -2.8356 / 2°50'8"W
OS Eastings: 343647
OS Northings: 312942
OS Grid: SJ436129
Mapcode National: GBR BF.26KY
Mapcode Global: WH8BS.D3ZV
Entry Name: Stable Block, Garden Wall and Dovecote Adjoining Onslow Hall to the South East
Listing Date: 27 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366895
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259075
Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY3
Civil Parish: Bicton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
CIVIL PARISH OF BICTON
9/15 A 458 (T) (south side)
Stable block, garden wall
and dovecote adjoining
Onslow Hall to the south-east
BICTON C.P. A 458 (T) (south side)
SJ 41 SW
9/15 Stable block, garden wall
- and dovecote adjoining
Onslow Hall to the south-east
Stable block, garden wall and dovecote. Circa 1815-20, by Edward Haycock
of Shrewsbury. U-plan stable courtyard with enclosing wall to north-east
and garden wall with dovecote adjoining at south-west corner; attached to
Onslow Hall to the north-west (now rebuilt and not included on this list).
In a Neo-Classical style. Stable block: red brick with grey sandstone
ashlar dressings; brick rendered to front. Hipped slate roofs. One
storey. North-west front: plinth, end pilaster strips and frieze.
Central break with paired pilaster strips supporting frieze and open
triangular pediment, and moulded segmental carriage archway with pair of
large 6-panelled doors. Each range has small square stone stacks or
ventilators with moulded cornices. South-west range has central gauged-
brick elliptical archway with stone impost blocks and triple keystone.
South-east range has 5 two-light mullioned stone windows and a pair of
doors with 6 raised and fielded panels. Stone-coped enclosing wall to
north-east. Some inserted or altered C20 openings in north-west and
south-west ranges. Garden wall adjoining to south-west, including side
wall of stable courtyard. Rendered brick with grey sandstone ashlar
dressings. Articulated by panelled pilasters, continuous frieze and cornice,
and parapet with panelled dies,moulded stone coping and stone globe finials.
Dovecote at southern end. Red brick with hipped slate roof. Two storeys.
Projecting brick courses at eaves. Central gabled glover with barge boards
and finials, and weathervane. Various 2-light wooden windows and segmental-
headed boarded doors. Door to north with 6 raised and fielded panels (top
2 glazed). Interior not inspected. Onslow Hall was a large country house
of c.1815-20,by Edward Haycock for John Wingfield, in a Greek Revival style.
It was demolished c.1957 and replaced by the present building. B.O.E.,
p. 222; Colvin, p. 406.
Listing NGR: SJ4364712942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings