This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3593 / 52°21'33"N
Longitude: -2.949 / 2°56'56"W
OS Eastings: 335470
OS Northings: 273890
OS Grid: SO354738
Mapcode National: GBR B8.SGN8
Mapcode Global: VH76J.TYVS
Plus Code: 9C4V9352+PC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Last Amended: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366998
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257529
Location: Bucknell, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Bucknell
Built-Up Area: Bucknell
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bucknell
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
BUCKNELL C.P. CHAPEL LAWN ROAD (eastside),
SO 37 SE
- Church of St Mary
[formerly listed as Parish
21.3.68 Church (no dedication)]
Parish church. C12 and early C14, considerably restored and partly rebuilt
1870. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roofs
have ornamental ceramic cresting and foliated iron crosses to gables.
Nave with western bell turret and spire; chancel; north aisle; organ chamber/
vestry and south porch; largely rebuilt in an Early English style in 1870.
Bell turret: constructed of oak shingles surmounted by slated spire with
brass weathercock. Shuttered openings to belfry and clock by Bezant of
Hereford under gabled canopy on south side. Nave: south side has 2 late
C19 windows with bar tracery to right of contemporary gabled porch and a
single broad cusped lancet to left. West wall has 2 late C19 stepped buttresses
flanking window with bar tracery, hoodmould and head-stops. Lean-to north
aisle (1870) has paired broad trefoil-headed lancets to right and window
with bar tracery in gable breaking eaves to left. West window of 2 lights
with plain bar tracery. Lower vestry to east has pointed north doorway and
segmental-headed 3-light east window. Chancel: has blocked single-chamfered
pointed south doorway (probably early C14) and a roughly contemporary window
of 2 broad cinquefoil-headed lights above to right. Late C19 three-light
east window with bar tracery, hoodmould and head-stops. Interior: arch-
braced collar beam roof in 5 bays to nave with 3 sets of purlins and 2 tiers
of quatrefoil windbraces, probably C15 but considerably restored in late
C19 ;four C19 heads to each side. Moulded tie beam to third truss from
east and C19 braced timber structure supporting bell turret in western bay.
Similar roof in 3 bays to chancel. Nave arcade in 3 bays with circular
piers and stiff-leaf carving to capitals; similar Transitional-style carving
to responds and to corbelled responds of pointed chancel arch, which has
hoodmould with foliated label-stops. Painted legends "LORD I HAVE LOVED
THE HABITATION OF THY HOUSE AND THE PLACE WHERE THINE HONOUR DWELLETH" over
arcade and "WORSHIP THE LORD WITH HOLY WORSHIP" over chancel arch. Restored
pointed recess in north wall of chancel probably for Easter sepulchre.
Tub-shaped Saxo-Norman font has flat carving of irregular interlaced cords
with a bearded human head on east; C19 Transitional-style plinth and base.
Communion table partly C17. Other fittings and furnishings including pews,
altar rails and stone pulpit mainly c.1870. Encaustic tiles and late C19
stained glass in several windows including east window dated 1870. Monuments.
Wall memorials to Harriet Sitwell (died 1827) and Anne Sitwell (died 1842),
north aisle north side. 3 late C18 and early C19 benefactors' boards at west
end of church, one dated 1838 and another 1839. Chest in choir vestry inscribed
"WW 1807". 1870 restoration cost £2000. B.o.E. p. 87; D.H.S. Cranage,
The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) pp. 381-2; appendix p.976.
Listing NGR: SO3547073890
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings