This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3638 / 52°21'49"N
Longitude: -0.8881 / 0°53'17"W
OS Eastings: 475809
OS Northings: 274557
OS Grid: SP758745
Mapcode National: GBR BTQ.Y00
Mapcode Global: VHDRD.KVC8
Plus Code: 9C4X9476+GQ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360324
Location: Lamport, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Lamport
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Lamport with Faxton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
LAMPORT HIGH STREET
SP77SE (North side)
10/71 Church of All Saints
Church. Late C12, C13 and C17 to C19. Architects William Smith and J. Bodley.
Limestone and lias ashlar and squared coursed lias with lead roof. Aisled nave,
chancel and south chapel and west tower. Chancel rebuilt by William Smith of
Warwick commencing 1737 along with the outer walls of the nave and the aisles.
South elevation of one-window range, has 2 -light C18 window with thick
Y-tracery. 3-light Venetian east window with Doric pilasters. Shallow pitched
roof with ashlar parapet. South vestry by Bodley 1879 has 2-light east windows
with reticulated tracery. Lean-to roof with decorated corbels. North chapel
added to the medieval church in 1672 by Henry Jones of Walgrave for Sir
Justinion Isham probably to designs by J. Webb. East window of 2-lights with
transom and segmental pediment on corbels over. Blocked north door with
rusticated head. Rusticated quoins. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. South
aisle of 2-window range of 3-light C18 windows with thick Y-tracery. Similar
2-light west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. South porch to left C18
by Smith; plain arch opening has rusticated surround with pediment over. Small
roundels in flanking side walls. C19 outer doors with close lattice pattern;
inner are 6-panelled double doors. North aisle similar to south of 3-window
range. C18 windows. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar cornice and finial. West
tower late C12 of 2 stages with C13 clasping buttresses to lower stage. Blocked
west door. 2-light C13 bell chamber openings with quatrefoil above to each face
of second stage. Castellated parapet. Shallow pyramid roof with weather vane.
Interior; Chancel, 3-bay arcade to north chapel of semi-circular arches on
square piers with moulded cornices. Plasterwork by John Woolston of Northampton.
Cartouches between arches, fine Rococo ceiling with central pendant and
dentilled cornice. Reredos below east window of 3 panels divided by plasterwork
swags and cherubs. Reflecting pilasters between the windows. Double chamfered
chancel and tower arches. Nave has 3-bay arcade of double chamfered C13 pointed
arches with octagonal piers. Flat ceiling with plasterwork by John Woolston is
of 3 roundels, centre with eye of God, flanked by doves. Royal arms of George II
in plaster relief above chancel arch. Pulpit has C18 fielded panelling.
Communion rail with turned balusters, probably mid C18. Font with tall wooden
cover by Bodley c.1869. Monuments: Left of altar Mrs. Jane Isham died 1638:
inscribed tablet with 3 putti and 3 wreaths at the top by Thomas Stanton.
Inscribed tablet above to John Isham (infant) died 1638. North wall of north
chapel left Sir Justian Isham 1700 by William Stanton. Tablet with twisted
columns and segmental pediment above. North wall right: Elizabeth Isham died
1713 by Edward Stanton with fluted pilasters with putti flanking coat of arms
above. West wall, Sir Justinion Isham died 1730 by Francis Smith: Tablet in
varigated marbles with fluted pilasters and broken pediment over. North wall
centre, Sir Justinian died 1737, by Schemakers: bust on large plinth with
volutes to left and right. Large arcaded surround with heraldic devices. firs,
Raynsford died 1763 by W. Cox on east wall originally at Faxton church. East
wall of north aisle, John Isham died 1811 by Henry Westmancott. Various C19 and
C20 tablets to Isham family including Sir Gyles died 1976.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.285).
Listing NGR: SP7580974557
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings