This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7425 / 52°44'33"N
Longitude: -2.9902 / 2°59'24"W
OS Eastings: 333248
OS Northings: 316559
OS Grid: SJ332165
Mapcode National: GBR B6.0BHW
Mapcode Global: WH8BJ.1BCC
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256671
Location: Melverley, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: Melverley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Melverley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
MELVERLEY C.P. MELVERLEY
SJ 31 NW
11/119 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Probably late C15 with C16 porch and bellcote of c.1718;
restored 1878 and 1924-5. Timber framed with rendered lathe and plaster
infill on rubblestone plinth (C19 brick plinth to east end). Machine
tile roof with ornamental cresting. Rectangular nave and chancel in
one with west bellcote and south porch. Framing: close-set thick vertical
posts with middle rail on north, south and west; cambered tie beams to
gable ends. East end more renewed with 2 middle rails and slightly curving
diagonal bracing. Similar close-set posts to slightly later porch which
has outer tie beam with raking struts to principal rafters and wall posts.
Two square panels to each face of formerly weatherboarded bellcote, which
has louvred openings below eaves of broached slate spire. Restored
moulded leaded mullioned and transomed window of 4 lights immediately
to east of porch is possibly C17; similar leaded mullioned window of 2
lights to far right is C19. East window of 1878 has 5 cusped lights
and projecting moulded cill. Small 2-light leaded mullion window inserted
in middle rail to centre on north side. West wall has 2 small C19 leaded
mullion windows on ground floor and two 3-light leaded mullion windows
in space between tie beam and collar. Segmental-headed south doorway
has mortices to underside of reused lintel; massive plank door with 2
raised ledges and huge timber block to thresh-hold (continuation of sole-
plate). Interior. Vestibule/narthex has red tile floor. Reused late
C16 square and rectangular oak panelling in screen separating it from
main body of church with inscription "INRI ANO DONI 1588' C(?)TO / EXDOMOED:
THORN" to bottom. Oak winder staircase in south-west corner leads to
gallery. This was erected in 1718 and has bulbous turned balusters to
rail. Bracing fort bellcote on tie beam above, C15 double-purlin roof
in 4 bays has slightly cambered collar and tie beam end trusses with V-
struts from west collar and vertical struts to east. First trusses from
east and west are arch-braced with V-struts from collars. Massive chamfered
wall posts, double purlins and cusped windbraces. Centre truss has cambered
tie beam and collar, former with raking struts to principal rafters.
Vertical struts also carried down from tie beam to form open screen.
Moulded horizontal beam with moulded cambered arch-way to centre. Open
to left and right with vertical struts and plain plank and muntin dado.
North, south and west walls have long internal diagonal braces, some slightly
curved, in front of exposed timber framing. Octagonal concave-sided
font with lead lining and wooden cover (c.1718) is probably C15. Finely
carved hexagonal Jacobean pulpit with ornamental base; contemporary communion
table. Brass chandelier hanging from collar of first truss from east.
Early C18 open benches with circular ends, including to gallery and in
vestibule (Inscribed "M 1716"), mostly altered in late C19. Small room
on north side of vestibule has late C18 wall cupboard with H-hinges fixed
to screen. Painted wooden board commemorates John Peers of Bretchel (died
1778) who "Gave in / his Life time five / Shillings yearly in / Bread
upon St John.S / Day To the Poor / of The Parish of / Melverley: Forever."
Only other monuments of note are wall memorial to Richard and Margaret
Downes erected 1730 by their son, John and brass plate in moulded wooden
frame to Edward Lloyd (died 1704): both south side. Stained glass in
east window by Kempe and Tower workshop with inscription of 1928. Pictur-
esquely situated by the bank of the River Vyrnwy, the Church of St. Peter
is one of only 2 timber framed churches in Shropshire. B.o.E. p. 198;
D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), pp. 804-5; appendix
Listing NGR: SJ3324816559
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings