This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8172 / 52°49'1"N
Longitude: -2.9458 / 2°56'45"W
OS Eastings: 336351
OS Northings: 324824
OS Grid: SJ363248
Mapcode National: GBR 77.VJYK
Mapcode Global: WH8B4.QGD4
Plus Code: 9C4VR383+VM
Entry Name: Pradoe Church
Listing Date: 21 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256680
Location: Ruyton-XI-Towns, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: Ruyton-XI-Towns
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. -
SJ 32 SE
8/128 Pradoe Church
Estate chapel. 1860-1 by Rhode Hawkins for Louisa Charlotte Kenyon; chancel
and north aisle added in 1864. Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings;
machine tile roofs with coped verges and ornamental cresting. Nave; chancel;
north chancel aisle and north tower. Decorated style. Tower. In 2 stages
with double-chamfered string course and diagonal buttresses to bottom stage
at north-east and north-west corners. Chamfered rectangular window to
ground floor on north and single-chamfered pointed doorway to west. Belfry
windows of 2 cusped lights with trefoils above and head-stops to hoodmoulds.
Cornice with dogtooth decoration and pyramidal spire. Nave. Buttressed
in 3 bays to south. Window with Geometrical tracery to centre and cusped
lancet to right. Gabled timber porch to left over pointed chamfered doorway.
West window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil above and foliated label-
stops to hoodmould. Stone dentilled eaves cornice on north and south sides
continued to chancel. This has 2 cusped lancets to south and east window
of 3 lights with Geometrical tracery, hoodmould and floriated label-stops.
North chancel aisle has single cusped window to west of shouldered doorway
under lean-to hood carried down from roof. East window similar to that
of chancel. Interior. Trussed rafter roofs to nave and chancel. Pointed
chancel arch with richly foliated corbelled responds. North chancel arcade
in 3 bays with 2 clustered columns supporting foliated capitals; pierced
trefoils above to spandrels. Pointed single-chamfered doorway to tower.
Fittings and furnishings c.1860 or later, including pulpit and octagonal
font (c.1868). C19 copy of Van Eyck's Triptych for Ghent Cathedral by
south door. Marble and mosaic reredos c.1897 and encaustic tiles in sanctuary.
Stained glass in chancel probably c.1864 and west window commemorates Rowland
Whitehall Kenyon (died 1873). Monuments. Plain wall memorial to founder:
chancel, south side. Henry, son of Thomas Kenyon (died 1827) at west end
of nave: plaster copy of original monument at Pradoe (q.v.) by Thomas Carline
of Shrewsbury - sleeping child. B.o.E. p. 124.
Listing NGR: SJ3635124824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings