This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1879 / 51°11'16"N
Longitude: 0.6014 / 0°36'5"E
OS Eastings: 581889
OS Northings: 146407
OS Grid: TQ818464
Mapcode National: GBR QTM.GVP
Mapcode Global: VHJMV.CDSN
Entry Name: Moatenden Priory
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Last Amended: 21 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367452
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174308
Location: Headcorn, Maidstone, Kent, TN27
Civil Parish: Headcorn
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
HEADCORN MAIDSTONE ROAD
TQ 84 NW (West Side)
5/60 (formerly listed as
Farmhouse, possibly incorporating fragment of house of Trinitarian Friars at
left end. Now house. Late C15 or first half of C16, with Cl7 and later
alterations. Ground floor of left section red brick with grey brick diaper
pattern and irregular stone quoins to left corner; of central section red and
grey brick in Flemish bond, and of right end bay C19 banded red and grey brick
in English bond. First floor tile-hung. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys and attic.
Plinth of C15 or C16 stone to left section; later ashlarged stone, and banded
red and grey brick to central section; and irregular stone blocks to right
end. Hipped roof, with gablet to right. Filleted multiple brick stack in
rear slope of roof towards right. Irregular fenestration of five 9-pane sashes.
Left section has one 2-light hollow-chamfered stone mullion ground-floor window
with round-headed lights, moulded jambs and squared hoodmould to left of door
and similar single-light window to right of door. 2 similar rear windows
aligned with those to front. Hollow-chamfered stone doorway with rounded,
almost 4-centred arched head and hoodmould to right end of left end bay.
Panelled door with C19 open timber porch beneath stack. Rear elevation has
3 gables, 2 jettied on shaped brackets. Interior: exposed framing. Stone
doorway with 4-centred arched head and another stone opening adjacent to it
in right wall of left end bay. Plain crown-post to right end of same bay.
Moated site. House of Trinitarian Friars founded circa 1235, and dissolved
Listing NGR: TQ8188946407
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings