This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7419 / 51°44'30"N
Longitude: -1.6023 / 1°36'8"W
OS Eastings: 427555
OS Northings: 204873
OS Grid: SP275048
Mapcode National: GBR 5TP.PQW
Mapcode Global: VHC06.5HS0
Plus Code: 9C3WP9RX+Q3
Entry Name: Alvescot Mill
Listing Date: 20 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253322
Location: Alvescot, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
Civil Parish: Alvescot
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Alvescot
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP2604-2704 ALVESCOT MILL LANE
9/17 Alvescot Mill
Water mill and mill-house. House is probably early C18 in origin with late
C18-early C19 and C20 alterations. Attached mill building is mid-late C18 with
extension over mill stream dated 1845. Coursed limestone rubble with stone slate
roofs, the house with brick chimneys to gable ends. House is of 2 storeys and an
attic, and 2 bays. Front has C18-C19 4-pane boxed sashes with wooden lintels,
central hipped roof dormer with 2-light barred wooden casement, and large C20
bay window with similar casements and hipped roof replacing former central
entry. Globe fire insurance plaque to centre below eaves. Present entry in C20
2-storey lobby extension of roughcast brick with flat roof, set back to left.
Gable ends have single lights either side of chimney, all blocked except to
attic storey. To rear are catslide extensions and C18-C19 link wing to mill
building. Mill is of 2 storeys and loft, and approximately 3 bays. East side has
irregular single lights with wooden glazing bars and lintels, stable-type door
to left, and semi-circular dressed stone arch of 1845 over mill stream to right.
Large C19 single-storey lean-to extension to centre. Rear of mill, and far
gable, has leaded and wooden casements, those to extension with stone arches.
Mill wheel is missing but much other machinery is retained, including main shaft
and gear wheels, 2 mill stones, hoppers, bins and wooden scales. Mill occupies a
medieval site, mentioned in the Hundred Rolls of 1279, and is documented as
property of the Tanner family between 1665 and 1881. Attached cottage, formerly
boiler room, is not of special architectural interest.
Listing NGR: SP2755504873
Other nearby listed buildings