This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8357 / 51°50'8"N
Longitude: -1.539 / 1°32'20"W
OS Eastings: 431860
OS Northings: 215336
OS Grid: SP318153
Mapcode National: GBR 6TY.V0J
Mapcode Global: VHBZV.84R1
Plus Code: 9C3WRFP6+79
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 21 August 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253622
Location: Leafield, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Leafield
Built-Up Area: Leafield
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Leafield with Wychwood
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
LEAFIELD LOWER END
SP3115 (South side)
9/65 Church of St. Michael and All
Church. Circa 1858, tower not completed until 1874; tower rebuilt in shorter
form early C20. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. Squared coursed stone; imitation
stone tile roofs, except stone spire, 4-bay aisled nave, central tower, and
chancel. Gothic Revival style. South side: stone gabled porch to left of centre
of south aisle with 2-centred archway on columns, and 2-centred doorway on
columns with plank door, having decorative wrought-iron hinges. Paired lancets
to north and south aisles with quatrefoils above, forming cross-gables. 3-light
stone mullion windows to clerestory. 2 lancets to side-chapel to south, and to
organ chamber to north. Triple lancet with Rose window above to east end of
chancel. West end: lancets to ends of aisles. Central 2-centre arched doorway
with gabled canopy surround on shafts. 2 lancets to nave with Rose window above.
Central tower has square base, octagonal second stage with 2-light Plate-tracery
louvred openings and broach spire with hipped lanterns to cardinal sides.
Interior: arch-braced roof to chancel. Painted inscriptions on sheet metal to
walls of chancel and over nave arcades. Encaustic tile floor to chancel, and
frescoed fleur-de-lys pattern behind altar. Wood panelled roof to crossing with
decorative painting to ribs and panels. C19 choir stalls. 2-centre arches to
chancel, nave, side chapel, and organ. Nave arcades of 4 two-centred arches on
round piers. C19 pulpit, pews and font.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, p682; The Works of Sir Gilbert Scott,
D. Cole: Architectural Press: 1980)
Listing NGR: SP3186015336
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings