This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8478 / 51°50'52"N
Longitude: -1.4768 / 1°28'36"W
OS Eastings: 436135
OS Northings: 216709
OS Grid: SP361167
Mapcode National: GBR 6V0.5FS
Mapcode Global: VHBZP.CT3B
Plus Code: 9C3WRGXF+47
Entry Name: Finstock Manor House
Listing Date: 27 August 1957
Last Amended: 13 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367894
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252494
Location: Finstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
Civil Parish: Finstock
Built-Up Area: Finstock
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Finstock with Fawler
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
FINSTOCK WITNEY ROAD
SP3616 (North-west side)
17/53 Finstock Manor House
27/08/57 (Formerly listed as Manor Farm
Manor house. Dated 1660. Early and mid-C20 alterations and additions. Squared
and coursed limestone with ashlar dressings, coursed rubble to sides and rear.
Stone slate roof. L-plan. Two storeys and attic. Chamfered quoins, continuous
hoodmoulds to ground and first floors, and parapeted gables with moulded
copings. Integral dressed stone end stack to left with chamfered offset to 2
square shafts with frieze and moulded cornice, dressed stone ridge stack
off-centre to right (possibly rebuilt) with chamfered offset to rectangular
shaft with moulded coping, and large integral stone end stack to rear wing with
weathering, chamfered offset and moulded cornice. Three large gabled full
dormers with globe finials at feet and apices and oval stone windows with
panelled spandrels, hoodmoulds and square-leaded glazing with central square
casements. Three bays, 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned stone windows with
square-leaded lights in metal casements (left-hand ground-floor window is
probably a late C19 or C20 restoration). Central doorway with moulded jambs and
depressed-arched head with impost blocks, panelled spandrels and outer square
moulding; C20 small-paned glazed door. Moulded recessed square datestone above
central attic window: "IM/1660", Copper fire insurance plate above door.
Left-hand gable end: first-floor blocked 2-light mullioned stone window to right
with returned hood mould. C20 six-panelled door with pilastered and pedimented
stone doorcase. Right-hand return (garden) front: 3 parapeted gabled dormers
(right-hand pair look restored or c.1900) with moulded copings, globe finials at
apices, and oval windows (left-hand one is oeil-de-boeuf). Three-window front;
mullioned and transomed stone windows with returned hood moulds (some look
restored or c.1900). Lower one-storey part to right with 3-light leaded wooden
casement. Rear: first-floor 2-light mullioned stone window to right. Stair tower
in angle of wing with gable to rear and side; first-floor 2-light mullioned
stone window to rear with returned hoodmould and integral stone stack to side.
First-floor one- and 2-light mullioned stone windows with returned hood moulds
to rear of wing too. Interior: partly inspected: C17 dog-leg oak staircase with
landings, rising to attic, with closed string, turned balusters, chamfered
handrail, and chamfered newel posts with finials, the foot newels rising to full
height. Tudor archway at foot of staircase with evidence of former dog gate.
Staircase returns to top landing.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p605)
Listing NGR: SP3613516709
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings