This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.639 / 51°38'20"N
Longitude: -1.6114 / 1°36'41"W
OS Eastings: 426989
OS Northings: 193424
OS Grid: SU269934
Mapcode National: GBR 5W1.7F5
Mapcode Global: VHC0S.02ZD
Plus Code: 9C3WJ9QQ+HC
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 21 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368112
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251561
Location: Great Coxwell, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
Civil Parish: Great Coxwell
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Coxwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 29 SE
Church of St Giles
Parish church. Originally a C13 plan, altered and enlarged in the C15 and restored in 1882. Rubble stone and stone dressings, cement render to south wall of nave and tower with gabled stone tiled roofs. Two bay nave, two bay chancel, north porch, west tower.
Perpendicular tower of three storeys with plain string courses, two-light cusped bell openings under flat heads with dripstones, a moulded string to upper storey with gargoyles and an embattled parapet. West window of three cusped lights under a pointed head. South wall of nave has one flat-headed window of three cusped lights, a two-cusped-light window under a pointed head, a similar but smaller two-light window of C19 date and a large flat-headed window of three cusped lights next to another of two lights. Apart from the C19 window these are C14 and C15. The north wall of the nave preserves two Early English lancets. The chancel south wall rebuilt circa 1290 but preserves an Early English lancet and a plainly moulded priest's door alongside a Decorated two-cusped-light window under a pointed head. The chancel north wall has two Early English lancets. East window of three stepped pointed-trefoiled lights under a pointed arch of the late C13. On the west end of the nave is a decayed C13 sanctus bellcote. Gabled, stone tiled, timber-faced porch leads to the north doorway with a plain pointed arch and hoodmould and an early C15 door with large scale tracery with feathered cusping.
Inside, a plainly moulded C15 arch to the tower, deep splays to the windows and a mid C13 chancel arch on half shafts. The chancel has a cusped-headed piscina on the south wall, a trefoil-headed niche behind the altar flanked by two lancet niches and below these, rectangular niches. Open trussed-rafter roofs with semi-circular bracing, both restored C19. Circa 1500 brass to William Morys in nave. 18-inch figure, with three small figures below. He is recorded to have been 'sumtyme fermor of Cokysell'. There are also several late C18 mural tablets. In the east window clear glass panes with engraved shields of 1792 by Eginton. Late C17 communion rail with flat balusters of dumb-bell outline and a Jacobean pulpit with strapwork in the nave behind which are rood stairs.
Listing NGR: SU2698893423
Other nearby listed buildings