This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6423 / 51°38'32"N
Longitude: -1.6611 / 1°39'40"W
OS Eastings: 423546
OS Northings: 193776
OS Grid: SU235937
Mapcode National: GBR 5VS.T16
Mapcode Global: VHC0K.5Z6D
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368120
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251497
Location: Coleshill, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Coleshill
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Coleshill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU2393 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Originally late C12 with alterations and additions circa
1300, mid C14 and mid C15. Restored and further altered in 1715, 1750,
1780-8 and the late C19. Coursed rubble stone to nave, larger squared and
dressed stone in uneven courses to the chancel, transept and lower stage of
the tower, ashlar for stair turret and top 2 stages of the tower. Gabled
stone tiled roofs with dressed stone copings. 2-bay nave, 1-bay chancel, W
tower, S porch, S transept and N aisle. Perpendicular W tower of 3 storeys
with diagonal buttresses moulded string courses, 2-light cusped bell
openings with Somerset tracery and dripstones. Gargoyles on string course
below moulded embattled parapet with pinnacles. 2-storey polygonal stair
turret to SE. Perp. W window of 3 lights with cusped heads, dripstone and
carved label stops. W door with a four-centred arch set in a flat headed
hoodmould with carved label stops and mouchettes in the spandrels. Regency
Gothic wooden door with 'y' tracery panels. Decorated S porch of 2 storeys
with a gabled roof, diagonal buttresses with a sundial set into the SW
buttress and one and 2-light ogee headed lancets. C19 gable coping and
cross finial. The porch entrance is a plain moulded pointed arch dying into
its imposts. Early English S door with a rounded trefoiled head. Good C19
ironwork on plank door. Dec. S transept with S three-light recut original
window and one purely C19 cusped lancet. One C19 2-light window to S wall
of chancel, a large C18 quatrefoil window to E wall and one C19 lancet and
one original Dec. lancet, blocked, to N wall. N aisle has late C19 windows
of 3 lights with curvaceous Perp. tracery and a quatrefoiled parapet.
Interior: a tall, plainly moulded arch to W tower under which a vault was
planned - the springers survive but the ringing stage has a timbered floor.
The nave has a S arcade of Transitional columns and flat leaved capitals
with later double chamfered arches and a N arcade of late C13 character with
round abaci and double chamfered arches. C19 gallery above S porch. Double
chamfered chancel arch on dying imposts. 1788 E window set within Cl9 Early
English shafts and capitals. Perp. ceilings throughout with braced tie
beams on plain stone corbels supporting rafters. Stained glass in E window
inserted in 1788 depicting the Nativity, brought from Angers. Good early
C20 stained glass in S transept window. Fine monument on the S wall of the
chancel to Sir Henry Pratt, died 1647 and his wife. White and black marble.
Two effigies, she recumbent and below, he semi-reclining, a little above.
Repaired in 1831. Also on the S wall of the chancel, a pyramidal marble
monument with cherubs and an oval portrait medallion to Viscountess
Folkestone who died in 1751 by Michael Rysbrack. On N wall of chancel an
alternated Gothic canopy by Coade and Seely of 1812 to Mark Stuart Pleydell.
C18 box pews survive in the S transept.
Listing NGR: SU2354693776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings