This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9586 / 51°57'30"N
Longitude: -1.4235 / 1°25'24"W
OS Eastings: 439710
OS Northings: 229058
OS Grid: SP397290
Mapcode National: GBR 6SR.0YG
Mapcode Global: VHBZB.81TC
Entry Name: Great Tew House
Listing Date: 27 August 1956
Last Amended: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368164
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251848
Location: Great Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Great Tew
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Tew
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT TEW NEW ROAD
SP3929 (East side)
10/36 Great Tew House
27/08/56 (Formerly listed as Great Tew
Park, together with Dovecote,
Stable quadrangle with gateway
and garden walls)
Country house. Early C18, extended 1834 by Fulljames for M.R. Boulton and 1856
by Fulljames and Waller. Marlstone ashlar with limestone dressings; coursed
limestone rubble with limestone dressings. Westmorland-slate roofs with
limestone-ashlar stacks. Double-depth plan with large added wings. Present
entrance front incorporates a 5-window ashlar C18 section of 3 storeys plus
attic which retains 12- and 9-pane sashes but has added gables and has been
extended both sides. Single-storey entrance wing, to right, has a C13 style
arched doorway and a shallow dome to rear. Large 3-storey rubble wing of 1856,
set back to right, has stone mullioned and transomed windows with labels. A
small 2-storey section to extreme left of the front has segmental-arched sashes.
The garden front incorporates the original 5-window front with pilasters,
cornice, and storeybands linked to keyblocks; ground and first floors have
stone-architraved sashes, and three are small roof dormers. Single-storey
library range, to right, is of 1834 in C17 style, and has tall stone mullioned
and transomed windows and a canted bay with a quatrefoil parapet. Garden front
of later range, to left, is of 2 storeys, with moulded strings and heavy labels
over small windows, and it is flanked by square towers, one terminating the
range with a great pointed arch. The numerous stacks all have moulded caps, the
latest with octagonal shafts. Interior not inspected but noted as having partly
early-Victorian decoration in the drawing room and, in the library, a fine
hammer-beam roof on elaborate stone corbels and a marble fireplace, all copied
from Toddington Manor, Gloucestershire (Pevsner/Sherwood). The house was
developed from a C18 building, originally within the village street following
Mathew Robinson Boulton's purchase of the estate in 1815. He demolished the
surrounding buildings and extended the house to replace the C16/C17 manor house.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.227; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
pp.626-7; C. Hussey, "Great Tew, Oxfordshire - I", Country Life, July 22, 1949).
Listing NGR: SP3971029058
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings