This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8664 / 51°51'58"N
Longitude: -1.6171 / 1°37'1"W
OS Eastings: 426460
OS Northings: 218712
OS Grid: SP264187
Mapcode National: GBR 5S3.ZZN
Mapcode Global: VHBZL.XCG2
Entry Name: Numbers 5 and 7 (Former School and Schoolmaster's House)
Listing Date: 5 February 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251738
Location: Milton-under-Wychwood, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Milton-under-Wychwood
Built-Up Area: Shipton under Wychwood
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Milton-under-Wychwood
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MILTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD CHURCH ROAD
Nos 5 and 7 (former
School and Schoolmaster's
Former Primary School and Schoolmaster's House. 1853-54 by G E Street, Oxford
Diocesan Architect. Rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, steep Cotswold stone
roofs to two of the buildings. Gothic, a muscular variation on the lancet style;
irregular plan, school in 2 parallel rnages, schoolmaster's house L-plan to east.
Coped gables, mostly pointed and triangular head windows, mullioned with transoms.
Main west front has high schoolroom gable with triple paired lancets with triangular
heads and roundels; lean-to below with gabled entry (a Street speciality). Projec-
ting gabled wing to right with high-transomed windows and lean-to bracketed hood to
door on south return. South front has 3 irregular gables, the left-hand one with
recessed arch. North return has 2 sets of 3 cusp-headed lancets with transoms below
string level and a square corner buttress.
Listing NGR: SP2646018712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings