History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Worton, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9598 / 51°57'35"N

Longitude: -1.3753 / 1°22'31"W

OS Eastings: 443020

OS Northings: 229222

OS Grid: SP430292

Mapcode National: GBR 7V4.13T

Mapcode Global: VHCWM.3ZSZ

Plus Code: 9C3WXJ5F+WV

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368238

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252063

ID on this website: 101368238

Location: Holy Trinity Church, Over Worton, West Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Worton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Over with Nether Worton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Barford Saint John


6/247 Church of the Holy Trinity


Church. Rebuilt 1844 incorporating some medieval work by J. Derrick for Revd.
William Wilson.Marlstone ashlar with some limestone dressings; Westmorland-slate
roofs. Chancel, 3-bay nave and south aisle, south porch and north tower. C19
chancel in C13 style has 3 grouped lancets to east, and a single lancet to north
and south, all with hood moulds and carved stops. Walling and parapets of south
aisle and nave may be medieval but windows are restored: 2-light reticulated at
east end of aisle; 2-light geometrical to east and west of porch; a large
3-light window with intersecting tracery at the west end of the nave where the
former tower stood. The parapets have some medieval gargoyles at the angles. The
south porch has a large shield-shaped sundial and a foliated gable cross. North
side of nave has a large C19 window of 3 lights with flowing tracery. Massive
3-stage tower of 1849, in a mixed romanesque and C14 style, has tall traceried
openings to the bell chamber. Interior: chancel east window is set within 7
graduated lancets with detached shafts and dog-tooth ornament, the outer lancets
containing the Decalogue etc. 6-canted chancel roof has moulded ribs with carved
foliage bosses and a carved frieze. Trefoil-headed piscina and sedilia may be
C13. Oak chancel fittings have traceried panels and carved poppy heads. C19
encaustic-tile floor. Chancel arch has 2 chamfered orders with contrasting
voussoirs and springs from moulded corbels. C19 nave arcade in C13 style has
carved head stops. Nave roof trusses have traceried spandrels above braced
cambered tie beams. Octagonal C19 font has carved roundels of foliage. Stained
glass in chancel by Clutterbruck (1845); at west end of nave by Camm Bros.
(c.l878). Elaborate organ case with reticulated tracery. C17 full-length effigy
in legal robes retains much colouring and may be Edmund Meese (died 1617) whose
memorial tablet is set in the west wall. J.H. Newman, later Cardinal, preached
his first sermon in the church.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.300; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.750).

Listing NGR: SP4302029222

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.