This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7828 / 51°46'58"N
Longitude: -1.3701 / 1°22'12"W
OS Eastings: 443550
OS Northings: 209538
OS Grid: SP435095
Mapcode National: GBR 7X8.2G6
Mapcode Global: VHCXL.6GK4
Plus Code: 9C3WQJMH+4X
Entry Name: The Gables and Attached Outbuilding and Barn
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 17 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252235
Location: Eynsham, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Eynsham
Built-Up Area: Eynsham
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Eynsham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
EYNSHAM NEWLAND STREET
SP4309 (South side)
14/156 The Gables and attached
12/09/55 outbuilding and barn
(Formerly listed as The
House, Late medieval wing to left: rest is early C17 with mid C19 and later
alterations. Rendered over limestone rubble and timber frame; gabled stone slate
roof 2 ridge stacks of stone finished in diagonally-set brick flues with
oversailing courses; similar brick stacks to outer rear gables. Two-storey,
2-unit hall with flanking service and parlour wings. 2 storeys and attic;
7-window range. Gabled fronts of outer wings, and 2 gabled bays to centre.
Central stone porch: early C17 studded inner door with iron fittings set in
moulded wood architraves with shields in spandrels. Late C19 hood over C18 plank
door set in beaded architrave to left. 6-pane sashes and C20 casements. C17
outshut to rear, of limestone rubble with Welsh slate roof, has C17 five-light
wood-mullioned and transomed window. Interior: stop-chamfered and chamfered
beams throughout; jowled posts and wall plates on first floor. Remodelled open
fireplaces and C18 remodelled mid C19 staircase to right. Late C16 studded door
with iron fittings set in moulded architrave in rear outshut. Stone winder
stairs to cellar beneath fine early C17 open-well stairs: has pierced splat
balusters, turned finials and moulded handrail. First floor has early C18
bolection-moulded fireplace, similar fireplace with early C18 panelled partition
walls, and C17 fireplace to left with chamfered bressumer and stone jambs.
Collar-truss roof with butt purlins: principal rafters of probable medieval
truss embedded in front gable wall of steeper-pitched left wing roof. Probably
restored c.1838 for James Swan. Subsidiary features: C18 outbuilding and 3-bay
barn to left of limestone rubble and stone slate roofs.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.602).
Listing NGR: SP4355009538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings