This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.658 / 51°39'28"N
Longitude: -1.5851 / 1°35'6"W
OS Eastings: 428796
OS Northings: 195549
OS Grid: SU287955
Mapcode National: GBR 5VW.226
Mapcode Global: VHC0L.GLWB
Entry Name: The Corn Exchange and Former Savings Bank
Listing Date: 10 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249383
Location: Great Faringdon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
Civil Parish: Great Faringdon
Built-Up Area: Faringdon
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Faringdon
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT FARINGDON GLOUCESTER STREET
SU 2895 (south side)
3/37 The Corn Exchange and
former Savings Bank
1863 former Corn Exchange and Savings Bank. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings.
Large one-storey hall with 2-storey front range to Cornmarket all under same
roof, plain tiled and hipped to front. Gothic style. Asymmetrical front range,
2 windows to Cornmarket with heavily moulded doorway to left, Gothic arched with
quatrefoil opening in tympanum and inscribed scroll over. Statue each side on
buttress with small carved canopy over. 3-sided canted oriel over with 1863
date on moulded base. Cusped trefoil window heads with quatrefoil top-lights.
Crow stepped small gable over with Gothic attic window under hood-mould. Copper
weathervane. The right side, the adjacent canted corner bay and 1st bay of
Gloucester Street elevation all similar with 2-light windows each floor, ground
floor under segmental arch with carved boss over central mullion and shouldered
window heads, 1st floor with carved capital to central shaft, cusped heads and
quatrefoil over. Main Hall: 5 windows with buttresses between. Long triple
windows with dividing shafts and carved capitals, shouldered heads and carved
bosses over shafts. Large plate traceried west window. Attached to west,
former Savings Bank, lower one-storey range divided from hall by doorway with
shouldered head, hood mould and carved scroll: 'Faringdon Savings Bank 1863'.
Crenellated wall over the monogrammed plaque 'FTSB 1818'. Savings Bank with
stone tiled roof, 2 large 3-sided bays with mullion and transom windows and
crenellated parapets with quatrefoil panels and blank shields.
Listing NGR: SU2879695549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings