History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingston Bagpuize, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6803 / 51°40'48"N

Longitude: -1.4123 / 1°24'44"W

OS Eastings: 440727

OS Northings: 198108

OS Grid: SU407981

Mapcode National: GBR 6X1.PR5

Mapcode Global: VHC0P.G1Q7

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368533

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249587

Location: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor

Built-Up Area: Kingston Bagpuize

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Kingston Bagpuze

Listing Text

KINGSTON BAGPUIZE WITH SOUTHMOOR ABINGDON ROAD
SU4098 (West side)
Kingston Bagpuize
11/88 Church of St. John the Baptist
09/02/66

GV II

Church. 1799-1800 by John Fidel of Farringdon: remodelled in 1882 by Edwin Dolby
of Abingdon. Coursed and dressed limestone on ashlar plinth, with rusticated
quoins; hipped Welsh-slate roof. Nave with apse. 2-bay side walls, including
south chapel, have blind rusticated round arches with inner round-arched leaded
casements. Pedimented east gable wall has apse with similar surrounds to stained
glass window. Pedimented west end has similar round-arched entry: paired
Norman-style windows by Dolby surmount Doric entablature with columns framing
plain double-leaf doors. Fine bell cupola: oak Doric columns dividing louvred
sides, support lead roof with wrought-iron weathervane. Interior: late C19
benches and pulpit. Late C18 and early C19 wall tablets and Latin memorial
tablet to George Rainsbee, d.1624. South Chapel has wall tablet to John Blandy,
d.1844, and to John Blandy, d.1762, and his wife: latter has marble obelisk with
2 portrait medallions and flanked by putti, standing on entablature; fine
monument to Edmund Fettiplace, d.1710, has tasselled canopy over folding drapery
with urns, set over inscription tablet with achievement and winged putto at
base. Plan and elevations of 1799 show the apse ascribed by Pensner to Dolby.
(Bodleian Library, MS Top. Berks. C.57 pls.138, 139; John Betjeman and John
Piper (Eds.), Hurray's Architectural Guide, Berkshire, p.131; Buildings of
England: Berkshire, p.160; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol. IV, p.350; H.M. Colvin, A
Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, 1978, p.306).


Listing NGR: SU4072798108

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.