This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5947 / 51°35'40"N
Longitude: -1.336 / 1°20'9"W
OS Eastings: 446092
OS Northings: 188635
OS Grid: SU460886
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZF.YX6
Mapcode Global: VHCYK.S5LV
Entry Name: Hendred House and St Amands Chapel
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 25 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368665
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250115
Location: East Hendred, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: East Hendred
Built-Up Area: East Hendred
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
EAST HENDRED HIGH STREET
5U4688 (East side)
20/77 Hendred House and St. Amand's
(Formerly listed as Hendred
House and Chapel)
Manor house. Probably early C15; C18 addition to right; C19 addition to left.
Render, probably on stone rubble with timber-framing, to centre; render,
probably on brick, to additions to left and right; old plain-tile complex roof;
various brick stacks. Originally double-ended hall house. 2-storey, 4-bay centre
having 2-storey cross-wings to left and right; single storey and attic
cross-wing addition to right; 2 storeys and attic cross-wing addition to left.
C20 five-panel door, with C20 wood surround of Doric pilasters and cornice to
left of central range. 12-pane unhorned sashes with hood-moulds to ground floor
of central range. 3 tall 8-pane unhorned sashes with hood-moulds to ground floor
of cross-wing to right. Tripartite unhorned sash with glazing bars and hood
mould to ground floor of cross-wing to left. Tripartite unhorned sash with
glazing bars and hood-mould to first floor of cross-wing to right. Addition to
right has tripartite unhorned sash with glazing bars and hood-mould to ground
floor, and 12-pane unhorned sash with hood-mould to gable end. Addition to left
has 12-pane unhorned sashes to all openings, except 9-pane sash to gable end,
all with hood-moulds. C19 blind fretwork bargeboards to central cross-gables.
Interior: double-height 4-bay hall to centre has central hammer-beam roof truss
and arch-braced collar trusses to left and right of centre, having 2 rows of
arched wind braces. C15 hall fireplace has stone surround with 4-centred arch
and panelled frieze. Probably C19 straight-flight staircase and gallery to hall.
Some blocked wood mullion windows visible to first floor of hall. Chapel,
attached to rear of right cross-wing: probably C14, with much later remodelling.
Coursed clunch rubble side walls; C19 red brick east end wall; old plain-tile
roof. Lancet window to each side wall. Reticulated tracery window to east end.
History: manor held by Turberville family from mid C12 to early C14. Held by
Arches family from mid C14 and passed by marriage to the Eyston family in mid
C15 in whose ownership it remains. The chapel reputed to be one of three built
before the Reformation which have never been used for Protestant services.
(Buildings of England, Berkshire, 1975, pl34; V.C.H., Berkshire, Vol 4, 1924,
Listing NGR: SU4609288635
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings