History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Long Wittenham, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6425 / 51°38'33"N

Longitude: -1.2088 / 1°12'31"W

OS Eastings: 454848

OS Northings: 194043

OS Grid: SU548940

Mapcode National: GBR 90C.TG0

Mapcode Global: VHCY8.0ZB7

Plus Code: 9C3WJQVR+2F

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 14 June 1963

Last Amended: 4 November 1986

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368798

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248688

Location: Long Wittenham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Long Wittenham

Built-Up Area: Long Wittenham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Long Wittenham with Little Wittenham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Clifton Hampden

Listing Text

SU5494 (North side)
8/75 Church of St. Mary
14/06/63 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Mary Virgin)


Church. C12; C13 south aisle; c.1300 south transept; C14 north aisle and south
porch; C15 tower; chancel rebuilt c.1850 by George Gilbert Scott with some
re-used windows. Sandstone rubble with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof to
transept and chancel; roofs of nave, aisles and tower not visible. 6-bay aisled
nave, south transept, chancel and west tower. Open timber-framed gabled porch
with C15 double plank doors to 2-centre archway. Shaped bargeboards with ogee
mouldings. Open balustrade to sides. Crown-post roof with arch braces with
carved faces to ends. Ribbed and studded double door to 2-centre arched doorway
with hood mould with carved faces to end stops. Two 2-light reticulated tracery
windows to left. Window of 3 pointed trefoiled lights and sex-foiled circle to
end of transept. Paired trefoil lancet to right return of transept with flat
head and hood mould. Paired trefoil lancets with 2-centre arched head to end of
aisle and to left of chancel. 2-centre arched doorway to left of centre of
chancel. 2 lancets to right. Mid C19 window of geometrical tracery to end of
chancel. 3 paired lancets to clerestory of nave. Parapet to nave and aisle
roofs. Tower to left of 3 stages: Romanesque doorway to base; lancet to second
stage, sundial to right; louvred lancet to third stage. Battlemented parapet.
Rear: 2-centre arched doorway to right of centre aisle. 3-light Y-tracery window
to left. 2-light reticulated tracery windows to right and right end of aisle. 3
paired lancets to clerestory of nave. 2-centred arched lancet to left of
chancel. Romanesque lancet to centre, paired lancet to right. Parapet to nave
and aisle roofs. Tower to right: louvred lancet to third stage. 2-light
rectilinear tracery window to left return. Interior: arch-braced roof with 2
rows of wind braces to chancel. C15 Perpendicular roof to nave and aisles.
Trefoil-topped piscina to right of chancel. C17 choir stalls and desks with
richly carved poppy heads to ends and wrought iron candelabra. Romanesque
chancel arch. Early C17 wood pulpit to left with carved panels. North arcade of
3 two-centred arches. South arcade of 4 two-centred arches with tomb-recess
segmental-arch to chancel end. Romanesque lead font on round stone base,
embossed with archbishops in arcade with wheels of sun above, and C17 wood cover
to north aisle. Early C17 screen separates transept from south aisle: pilasters
between open arches with winged heads to spandrels and strapwork decoration.
Piscina to transept: trefoil topped with winged angels to top and damaged
hood-mould over. Carved figure of knight in armour to base. History: original
church built by Walter Giffard, third Earl of Buckingham c.1120. Transept
probably built by the widow of Gilbert de Glare, Earl of Gloucester and of
Hertford. In c.1850 the chancel was rebuilt at the expense of the Rector and
Fellows of Exeter College, Oxford. The choir-stalls and desks were formerly in
Exeter College Chapel, presented in 1875. The screen to the transept was given
to Exeter College Chapel in 1621 by George Hakewill, Chaplain to Prince Charles,
presented to Long Wittenham in 1888. The south porch is reputed to have come
from Lincoln Cathedral.
("A Guide to St. Mary's Church, Long Wittenham" 1981. V.C.H.: Berkshire Vol.IV,
1924, p.388-390, Buildings of England, Berkshire, 1975, p.170-171. Unpublished
memoranda of Reverend J.C. Clutterbuck (copy held by Long Wittenham History

Listing NGR: SU5484894045

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.