History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shirburn Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Shirburn, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6426 / 51°38'33"N

Longitude: -0.965 / 0°57'53"W

OS Eastings: 471718

OS Northings: 194260

OS Grid: SU717942

Mapcode National: GBR C3B.WCF

Mapcode Global: VHDVV.7Z75

Entry Name: Shirburn Lodge

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248995

Location: Shirburn, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Shirburn

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Pyrton and Shirburn

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Aston Rowant

Listing Text

SHIRBURN
SU79SW
8/149 Shirburn Lodge
18/07/63

GV II


House. c.1730, for Joseph Collett; enlarged c.1830. Knapped flint rubble, brick
quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roof; brick stacks. Double-depth plan. Early
Georgian style. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-window range with central
2-storey porch. Keyed round-arched doorway to 2-panelled double-leaf door with
decorative fanlight: 6-panelled inner door. Gauged brick flat arches over 6-pane
sashes with thick glazing bars. Moulded string course; gauged brick moulded
cornice beneath parapet. Hipped roof with 3 dormers; symmetrical end stacks.
Similar rear elevation has similar sashes with surrounds and flat hood over
central doorway. Extension to right c.1830, of Flemish bond brick with 5-window
front range of similar arches over sashes flanking central canted bay and
first-floor sashes: stone moulded cornice. Interior: panelled open hall to right
has 2-bay Doric screen and open-well staircase with turned balusters, and urn
finials to newel posts. Panelled ground- and first-floor rooms with fireplaces.
Early C18 fireplace in ground-floor rear left room: early C18 fireplaces and
panelled dados in rear left and rear first-floor rooms. Bolection-moulded
panelling in tall early C19 room to right. The house was bought by Lord
Macclesfield who used it as a dower house c.1775.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.763; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, p.182).


Listing NGR: SU7171894260

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.