This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6445 / 51°38'40"N
Longitude: -1.1657 / 1°9'56"W
OS Eastings: 457826
OS Northings: 194294
OS Grid: SU578942
Mapcode National: GBR 90F.S49
Mapcode Global: VHCY8.RX3Q
Entry Name: The Old College
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369111
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248086
Location: Dorchester, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Dorchester
Built-Up Area: Dorchester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Dorchester
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
DORCHESTER HIGH STREET
SU5794 (East side)
5/56 The Old College
College incorporating house, now shop and workshops. Late C18, extended 1878 by
Sir G.G. Scott. Brick with flared headers and red dressings; coursed clunch
rubble with limestone dressings; old plain-tile roofs with brick stacks.
Irregular courtyard plan. 2 storeys plus attics and one storey plus attics.
7-window C18 front range, with stepped plinth and storey band, is in Flemish
bond at ground floor and header bond above. The third bay from the right breaks
forward slightly with a brick pediment and has an arched doorway inserted into a
blocked carriage entry. Ground-floor windows all have C20 bow windows linked in
pairs over secondary shop doorways. First floor has 12-pane sashes under
segmental arches. Roof has 3 hipped dormers to left, and one to right, of
pediment. Lower 6-window range, returning to right, is in stone with brick above
the lower storey. 2 doorways have shouldered lintels and some windows have stone
mullions and transoms; 3 windows have been altered. 5 of the 6 hipped dormers
have been increased in depth. Roof has 2 large stacks with arched panels, one
corbelled out from the facade. Further C19 ranges around courtyard have similar
dormers. Courtyard has some glazed pointed-segmental cloister arches in brick.
Interior not inspected. Formerly a Missionary College.
(M. Airs: The Secular Buildings of Dorchester, Dorchester through the Ages,
Listing NGR: SU5782694294
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings