This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0377 / 52°2'15"N
Longitude: -1.4294 / 1°25'45"W
OS Eastings: 439238
OS Northings: 237857
OS Grid: SP392378
Mapcode National: GBR 6RR.CF7
Mapcode Global: VHBYY.51PP
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369852
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244112
Location: Tadmarton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Tadmarton
Built-Up Area: Tadmarton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Tadmarton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
TADMARTON MAIN STREET
2/101 Church of Saint Nicholas
Church. C12. C13 alterations and extension: Early English chancel arch;
chancel rebuilt; nave aisle rebuilt; 4th bay to nave arcade; tower.
Transitional chancel windows. C15 clerestory. North porch 1850. Restoration
1893. Coursed regular ironstone rubble with lead roof. Chancel, nave, north
aisle, west tower, north porch. Chancel windows: Late Decorated/Perpendicular
east and south windows; Early English lancet inserted in splay of Romanesque
south window. Nave has blocked 2- centred doorway with hoodmould; Two 3-
light Perpendicular windows on ground floor and three 2-light windows to
clerestory. North aisle has two 2-light windows with intersecting tracery in
north wall and single 3-light similar window in east wall. West tower of 3
stages: single lancets to first stage and 2-light Perpendicular windows to
belfry; 2-centred west doorway with hoodmould and stops; diagonal buttresses
on north-west. North doorway has two orders of roll moulding, fragmentary
dogtooth decoration and capitals with embyro stiff leaf decoration. Interior:
North wall of chancel has 2 blocked Romanesque arches. Early English chancel
arch has head of Romanesque arch above on north side. Internal jambs of low
side window on south side. Early English piscina in south wall of nave has
trefoiled head. Doorway to rood loft behind pulpit. North arcade of c.1170
has 3 round unchamfered arches and piers with square bases and scalloped
capitals. Fittings: C14 font has square bowl on octagonal base and row of
grotesque heads. C15 bench ends in nave carved with blind tracery and
quatrefoils; others date from c.1893. One bench made up from a C15 rood
screen is carved with rosettes and cusped arches. Stained glass in south
chancel window by Mowbray or Oxford c.1915. Monuments to: Mrs Mary Whately wife
of the Rector, dated 1657 on north wall of chancel; Anne Deane dated 1774 on
south wall of nave. Crenellated parapet to west tower and stone finials to
north aisle. History: Restoration of 1893 by Milne and Hall of London; the
builder J.S. Kimberley of Banbury.
(Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, pp. 803-804; V.C.H. : Pxfordshire, Vol IX,
Listing NGR: SP3923437856
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings