This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9429 / 54°56'34"N
Longitude: -2.5103 / 2°30'37"W
OS Eastings: 367407
OS Northings: 561035
OS Grid: NY674610
Mapcode National: GBR BCX8.BX
Mapcode Global: WH917.D1V0
Entry Name: Garden walls surrounding Featherstone Castle, with gatehouse, gateways, bastions, beebole and mausoleum
Listing Date: 27 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240700
Location: Featherstone, Northumberland, NE49
Civil Parish: Featherstone
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Haltwhistle Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 66 SE
HALL BANK (South side, off)
Garden walls surrounding Featherstone Castle, with gatehouse, gateways, bastions, beebole and mausoleum
Garden walls, gatehouse, three gateways, bastions, beebole and ruins of mausoleum/chapel; c.1812-30 for Thomas Wallace; mausoleum of Lady Jane Hope 1828. Squared rubble. Castellated style. Continuous and extensive walls enclosing large garden and forecourt.
1.5 to 2.5-metre high walls with flat-coped battlements. Buildings and other features described in an anti-clockwise direction:
1. Gatehouse and archway near north west corner. L-plan two storey gatehouse has pointed openings, shield with carved lion (Wallace emblem) and parapet with bartizan. Archway on east has four-centred pedestrian and coach arches.
2. Tall buttressed gateway in front of castle forecourt has four-centred arch under hoodmould.
3. Low circular plan bastion at south west corner.
4. Gateway near south east corner has wide four-centre arch; lower section on west with pointed doorway.
5. Low circular plan bastion at south east corner.
6. Mausoleum and chapel ruins to north of south east bastion. Roofless two storey mausoleum with pointed two-light windows and tall semi-octagonal tower. East wall of chapel on south.
7. Square plan bastion to north of mausoleum.
8. Square plan bastion set diagonally at north east corner.
9. Gateway near north east corner similar to Item 4 except that coach arch is now blocked.
10. Beebole to west of gateway facing into garden has four-pointed openings above projecting stone shelves.
11. Tall single storey square plan tower at north west corner has projecting parapet with corner bartizan.
Listing NGR: NY6740761035
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings