This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.2432 / 55°14'35"N
Longitude: -1.7588 / 1°45'31"W
OS Eastings: 415436
OS Northings: 594363
OS Grid: NZ154943
Mapcode National: GBR J75T.18
Mapcode Global: WHC29.YGNT
Plus Code: 9C7W66VR+7F
Entry Name: Former Parish Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 30 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238323
Location: Longhorsley, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Longhorsley
Built-Up Area: Longhorsley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Longhorsley St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 19 SE NZ 154944
6/85 Former parish church
of St. Helen
Parish church on medieval site, rebuilt 1783. Chancel 1798, vestry early C19.
Ashlar except for squared stone on north; slate roof with stone gable copings.
Broad nave with south porch, chancel with vestry on north. Gothick style.
Chamfered plinth. West end 20-pane sash window with intersecting glazing bars
under pointed head, flanked by blind lancets; sunk quatrefoil over. Embattled
bellcote has twin pointed openings on east and west and single blind pointed
arches north and south. South wall of nave: plain doorway at west end under
porch (front wall of porch removed to the present parish church 1982) and 3
sash windows as on west; 3 similar windows on north of nave, 2 on south of
chancel and one in east end. Priest's door between chancel windows has blocked
fanlight with intersecting ribs. Vestry has square plinth and 16-pane sash window.
Interior; trefoiled chancel arch outlined by raised balls with panelled soffit
and spandrels, the latter with crude foliage design, possibly early C20. Panelled
dado. Most fittings removed. The ground plan with the asymmetric layout of the
nave (c.f. Middleton St. George, Co. Durham) suggests that the south and west
nave walls, and possibly those of the chancel, lie on medieval foundations.
Church last used 1966, derelict at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ1543694363
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings