This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1733 / 55°10'23"N
Longitude: -1.6249 / 1°37'29"W
OS Eastings: 423989
OS Northings: 586621
OS Grid: NZ239866
Mapcode National: GBR K83M.09
Mapcode Global: WHC2S.07JD
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 18 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371383
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235945
Location: Ashington, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Ashington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bothal And Pegswood
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BOTHAL BOTHAL VILLAGE
NZ 2386 (East side)
7/75 Church of
Parish Church. Nave walls of uncertain date; north aisle, south-east chapel
and chancel early C13; chapel extended into full aisle C14; refenestration of
aisle, clerestorey and roofs probably c.1398 when Holgrave Chantry founded.
Restoration with rebuilding of east end and addition of south porch, 1887.
Squared stone of varying types; flat lead roofs on nave and aisles, stone
slates on porch, red tiles on chancel. South aisle has stepped buttresses
and 4 windows, each of 2 trefoiled-headed lights with panel tracery under
square head and hoodmould; old boarded and studded south door with C hinges,
in moulded arch, within gabled porch with double-chamfered outer arch; 3-light
east window under pointed arch. North aisle has similar fenestration, except
that westernmost window is C19 copy; round-arched door with continuous roll
moulding, its head cut in 2 megalithic blocks. Clerestorey of 4 small trefoiled
ogee lights on north and south; moulded parapets, low-pitched roof. West end
with 3 buttresses and 2 small ogee lights; broad central buttress carries heavy
bell cote, perhaps post-medieval, with 3 openings; one of lower pair re-uses
head of C14 2-light window; pyramid cap.
4-bay chancel with chamfered plinth and stepped buttresses; lancet windows, the
stepped eastern triplet with sill string and linked hoodmould. Trefoiled low-
side window on south, and renewed trefoiled priest's door with nailhead; north
door with triangular monolithic head is probably C16/17 insertion. Coped east
gable with vesica light and St. Andrew's Cross finial. High-pitched C19 roof
Interior; 4-bay north arcade with steeply-pointed double-chamfered arches on
octagonal columns with holdwater bases and moulded capitals, and triple-shafted
responds with stiff-leaf foliage; variously-carved stops to arch chamfers and
hoodmoulds. 3-bay south arcade with wider double-chamfered arches on rectangular
sections of walling chamfered at angles to form piers. Double-chamfered chancel
arch on semi-octagonal re-sponds, asymmetric as south respond has been re-set
at least once. Trefoiled piscina in south aisle; north aisle has trefoiled
recess on north and recess for rood stair at north-east corner. Small squint
on south of chancel arch, alongside corbel with nail-head and Bertram orle.
Chancel plastered, with chamfered sill string; eastern lancets with shafted
jambs. Triple sedilia and round-arched piscina with filleted roll moulding and
carved brackets. Recss adjacentto low-side shows remains of wall painting and
lintel of earlier squint with stiff-leaf foliage.
C15 low-pitched roofs throughout, with arch braces and wall posts on stone
corbels; bosses with angels holding shields. Remains of contemporary glass in
aisle windows include Annunciation, Coronation of the Virgin and Holgrave arms.
Octagonal C14 or C15 font. Section of Pre-Conquest cross in north wall of
chancel; various C12/13 architectural fragments re-set as screen to vestry at
west end of north aisle; 2 medieval cross slabs in floor of north aisle; and
others re-used in fabric. Alabaster table tomb with effigies of Ralph Lord
Ogle (d.1512)find Margaret his wife, in south aisle. 1612 wall tablet in
north aisle. Jacobean altar rails. Late C19 panelled dado and stalls in
chancel; chancel glass of same date includes Sharp memorial window at east end.
'Bothal Observed' R. Bibby, 227-284. Frank Graham, 1973.
Listing NGR: NZ2398586621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings