This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0697 / 52°4'11"N
Longitude: -1.2443 / 1°14'39"W
OS Eastings: 451897
OS Northings: 241533
OS Grid: SP518415
Mapcode National: GBR 8V8.B6M
Mapcode Global: VHCW9.D71N
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234488
Location: Thenford, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Thenford
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Thenford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
7/216 Church of St. Mary
Church. Late C12, early C14 and Perpendicular. Squared uncoursed limestone and
ironstone, lead and slate roofs. Chancel, nave and aisle, north porch, west
tower. East window in chancel c.1300, 3 trefoiled lancets, 2 two-light windows
with Y-tracery, also c.1300, to south C19 priests doroway, C19 lancet to north.
In south aisle, plain C13 lancet in east wall; south east window c.1300 has
Y-tracery and hood with lead stops. 2-light window with quatrefoil in head right
of doorway. South doorway, late C12, has round arch with roll mouldings and jamb
shafts with crudely moulded capitals. Window to left, c.1300, 2 lights with
cusped Y-tracery. Round headed late C12 lancet in west wall. Perpendicular west
tower: 3 stages with crenellated parapet, bell openings of 2 lights with cusped
heads and transom. In north aisle, windows in east and west walls and right of
porch all early C14 with tracery, renewed C19. C14 window left of porch has 3
cusped lights and 4-centred head. North porch rebuilt 1885 (datestone). Inner
doorway, early C14, has arch with roll mouldings and hollow chamfered jambs.
Interior: South arcade, 2 bays with pointed double chamfered arches and round
pier. Stiff-leaf carving on capital of east respond. North arcade, c.1300, three
bays with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. West and north-west
windows of north aisle have corbels carved with naturalistic foliage.
Perpendicular chancel screen and bench ends. C15 stained glass. East window of
north aisle: Fragmentary figures of St. Anne and Virgin Mary, with St.
Christopher. Monument to Fulk Woodhull, died 1613. North aisle, stone effigy in
recess framed by fluted columns of composite order. Early C18 black marble floor
slabs to Woodhull family with coats of arms and fine lettering. Painted wooden
panel with crest recording repairs to church in 1701 paid for by John Tooley (no
evidence of these repairs visible).
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.425).
Listing NGR: SP5189741533
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings