This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1132 / 52°6'47"N
Longitude: -1.053 / 1°3'10"W
OS Eastings: 464942
OS Northings: 246516
OS Grid: SP649465
Mapcode National: GBR 9W8.JL2
Mapcode Global: VHCW6.P4NW
Plus Code: 9C4W4W7W+7Q
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235024
Location: Abthorpe, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
Civil Parish: Abthorpe
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Abthorpe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ABTHORPE MAIN STREET
SP6446 (East side)
14/6 Church of St. John the Baptist
Church. Rebuilt 1870-1 by Ewan Christian incorporating some of the medieval
structure. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone with limestone dressings and
slate roofs with ornamental ridge tiles. Chancel, vestry, nave, north and south
aisles, south porch and north-west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light Decorated
style east window with hood mould; quatrefoil window in stone-coped gable above.
Vestry to north with one-light east window with pointed trefoil head and single
lancet window to north. Aisles overlap chancel. Nave and aisles are under one
roof. North aisle has 3-light window to north with reticulated tracery whose
head is in a gable, flanked by smaller 2-light Decorated style windows, another
similar window further west, all with hood moulds. South aisle has similar
composition to south and 2-light east window with quatrefoil in head. South
porch has double-chamfered doorway with hood mould, one-light windows east and
west with cusped heads and stone-coped gable with kneelers. South door within
has quadrant moulding and hollow chamfer and hood mould. West front has 3-light
Decorated style window, flanked by 2-light windows with quatrefoils to heads,
all with hood moulds and low offset buttresses either side of central window.
2-stage north-west tower has polygonal stair turret projection to south-west
with small rectangular chamfered windows lighting stair, quatrefoil windows at
top and ridged stone roof. Doorway to north with semi-circular responds, moulded
capitals and wave-moulded arch. North door within, similar to south door.
2-light bell-openings with quatrefoils in heads and hood moulds, corbel table,
spire with one tier of lucarnes and pyramidal corner pinnacles. Interior:
chancel has a piscina to north with cusped ogee head, another to south with
pointed-arched head, both probably medieval and re-used. Nave has 4-bay arcades,
medieval to north, with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered
arches. C17 moulded octagonal font. C19 communion rail with fine wrought-iron
supports. Stained glass east and west windows, that to east signed Mayer of
Munich. Wall monument to Joseph Key d.1783 with incised slate inscription in
stone surround. Incised slate wall monument to Reverend Richard Smith d.1778,
another to Reverend John Jones d.1793. Incised slate wall monument in stone
surround recording parish charities and their donors erected 1737.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.75; Kelly's Directory for
Listing NGR: SP6494246516
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings