This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9936 / 51°59'37"N
Longitude: -1.2521 / 1°15'7"W
OS Eastings: 451451
OS Northings: 233060
OS Grid: SP514330
Mapcode National: GBR 8W1.VNH
Mapcode Global: VHCWP.75Y0
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371796
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233942
Location: Aynho, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Aynho
Built-Up Area: Aynho
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Aynho St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP5133 AYNHO ROUND TOWN
12/43 Church of St. Michael
Parish Church. C14 tower, the rest rebuilt 1723-5 by Edward Wing. Restored
1863. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed limestone. Nave and chancel in
one with west tower. North and south walls treated symmetrically are of 2-
storeys and 7 bays. 2 end bays break forward and are framed by pilasters.
3 centre bays defined by pilasters and a pediment. Doorway with flat moulded
hood on scroll brackets and 10-panelled door. Sundial above south doorway.
Arched ground floor windows, segment headed windows on first floor except that
above the doorway which is arched and breaks into the pediment above. The
east wall of 3 bays has a pediment and 3 arched windows, the lower section of
that to the north forms a doorway. West tower of 4 stages has a crenellated
parapet and pinnacles. Bell openings of 2 traceried lights with transoms and
square hoods. West window of 3 lights with flowing tracery and central niche
for sculpture. C14 west doorway with continuous moulding. C18. Six panel
double doors. Inner doorway C18 six panel. Interior: West gallery C18
with paired Tuscan columns. Box pews and pulpit. C18 font, fluted bowl
on a baluster. Wood carving of the Crucifixion, French C17. Monuments include,
Chest tomb to Cartwright family, erected 1654, black and white marble. Panelled
sides with shields. Marble wall tablets to Matthew Hutton died 1711 by
Edward Stanton, framed with baroque scrolls and draperies. To Thomas Chapman,
died 1684, architectural frame with Corinthian columns, scroll pediment and
urn and similar tablet to Rhoda Chapman, died 1686, both attributed to William
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.97; H. Colvin, Biographical
Dictionary of English Architects, 1978, p.905).
Listing NGR: SP5145133060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings