This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4092 / 52°24'33"N
Longitude: -0.5834 / 0°35'0"W
OS Eastings: 496460
OS Northings: 279966
OS Grid: SP964799
Mapcode National: GBR DX6.WX0
Mapcode Global: VHFNT.TPYZ
Entry Name: Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Screens South and East of Drayton House; and Banqueting House, Balustrade, Statue and Cistern
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Last Amended: 31 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371922
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232513
Location: Lowick, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Lowick
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Lowick St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP97NE, SP9680 LOWICK DRAYTON PARK
6/79, 12/79 Walls, gatepiers, gates and
23/05/67 screens S and E of Drayton
House; and Banqueting House,
balustrade, statue and cistern
(Formerly listed as Drayton
Walls, gatepiers, gates, screens, banqueting house and attached balustrade,
statue and cistern. Late C17 and early C18 for the second Earl of Peterborough,
the Duchess of Norfolk and Sir John Germain. Squared coursed limestone wall and
limestone ashlar gatepiers with wrought iron gates and screens. Squared coursed
limestone banqueting house with ashlar facades and lead roof. Walls enclose
south-east garden of Drayton house. Central ashlar gatearch in west wall has
rusticated surrounds and quoins and triangular pediment. Flanking niches. Fine
wrought iron gates, probably by Jean Tijou, have monogram of the Duchess of
Norfolk and Sir John Germain, with coronet in the overthrow. Wrought iron screen
to south-west corner of south wall has pair of rusticated ashlar piers
surmounted by lead urns, probably by Van Nost. Similar screen with gates and
gatepiers in south-east corner of east wall has date 1699 and flatwork
decoration, probably by a local blacksmith. Banqueting House is linked to
north-east of east wall by wrought iron gates and screen. L-shape plan,
single-storey, 2-window range. Tall sash windows and glazing bars and moulded
stone architraves. Rusticated quoins, moulded cornice and plain ashlar parapet;
roof not visible. Elevation to left has central doorway with moulded stone
architrave and arms of second Earl of Peterborough above. Short section of wall
and ancillary building attached to rear. Lead cistern dated 1718 and lead statue
of dog attached to front elevation. 5 bays of ashlar balustrade attached to
north of banqueting house. 3 closed lead urns, probably by Van Nost, are mounted
on balustrade. Walls enclose 3 sides of south-east garden and one side of south
forecourt of Drayton House (q.v.). Banqueting House forms pair with walls,
gatepier and attached Banqueting House and balustrade approximately 80 metres
east of east front of Drayton House (q.v.).
(Gardens included in HBMCE Register of Parks and Gardens at grade I.
Cornforth, J., Country Life, 20th May, 1965, p.1216; Buildings of England:
Northamptonshire, p.189; Jackson-Stops G, Drayton House, 1978).
Listing NGR: SP9646079966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings