History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Michael

A Grade I Listed Building in Northampton, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2356 / 52°14'8"N

Longitude: -0.9508 / 0°57'2"W

OS Eastings: 471747

OS Northings: 260235

OS Grid: SP717602

Mapcode National: GBR BW6.SHP

Mapcode Global: VHDS4.G2QH

Plus Code: 9C4X62PX+7M

Entry Name: Church of Saint Michael

Listing Date: 3 May 1968

Last Amended: 17 February 1989

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 231872

Location: Upton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN5

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Upton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Duston St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

In te entry for:

SP 7160
30/530 Church of Saint Michael

The address and description shall be amended to read:

7159 NE UPTON A45
(south side)
4/1 Church of St Michael

Church. C12 with C13-C15 alterations, C14 tower and porch of 1594. Restored
1892-3 by M H Holding. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone and ironstone dressings
lead roof. Nave and chancel, west tower and south porch. 2-bay chancel has
3-light Decorated east window with renewed tracery and hood mould, small normal
1-light window to north and 2-light Perpendicular-style window of 1892 to north-
west with straight head and hood mould. Priest's door to south with round-arched,
single-stepped head and hood mould. 2-light windows to south with cusped heads
to lights and chamfered rectangular low-side window to west of priest's door.
Nave has original single-stepped north and south doorways with double-stepped
round-arched heads, imposts and hood moulds, that to south with 6-panel door.
3-light Perpendicular window to north with 4-centred head, tracery of 1892 and
hood mould. Original 1-light window to north-east with round-arched head.
Similar larger window to south. 2-light Perpendicular window to south-east
and 2-light Perpendicular windows either side of porch with straight heads and
hood moulds. Small quatrefoil clerestorey windows either side of porch roof.
South porch as chamfered Tudor-arched doorway, small circular window to east
side, small rectangular 1-light window to west with stone lintel, and stone-coped
gable with kneelers and datestone in gable inscribed 1592 to left of central
blank shield with initials VK above (Valentine Knightley) and HC to right.
West end of nave has chamfered lancet window either side of canted stair-turret
projection to tower. Tower is built within west end of nave and has 2-light
bell-chamber openings with hood moulds, battlemented parapet and pyramidal roof
with finial and wrought-iron weather-vane. Octagonal timber clock face above
stair turret to west facing Upton Hall (qv). Off-set buttresses to west end,
off-set buttressing to stair turret, stepped string course and plain stone-coped
parapets to nave and chancel. Interior. No division between nave and chancel.
Roofs renewed in restoration. Chamfered tower arch. Inner wall of tower
incorporated 3-light screen panel, probably C15. A quatrefoil window higher
up to left of tower arch and cruciform window to right. C17 communion table
in vestry. Reredos, choir stalls, desks and pulpit, all of Riga oak and designed
1899 by M H Holding. Stain glass east window of 1870. 4 hatchments, oil on
canvas, with Samwell family coat of arms. Monuments: alabaster effigies of
Richard Knightley d.1537 and his wife, on tomb-chest of 1892 incorporating one
original panel with 3 shield-holding angels. Wall monument to Sir Thomas Samwell
d.1757 of veined grey marble with apron and cartouche above with painted coat
of arms. Slate wall monument with painted inscription in upright oval gilt
frame to James Harrington d.1677, buried St Margarets, Westminster, erected
by his relative Wenman Langham Watson 18.10. Large wall monument to Thomas Samwell
Watson Samwell d.1831 of white marble on slate background with mourning female
figure and trophies on top, signed by Whiting, Northampton. Wall monument to
Wenman Langham Watson Samwell d.1841 of white marble on slate ground. Another
to Clarison Felicin Woodford d.1846. Both by Whiting.
(Rev R M Serjeantson, History of St Peters Church, Northampton, and Upton Church;
Kelly's Directory for 1936; Buildings of England; Northamptonshire, 1973, p437-8).


Church of Saint Michael
SP 7160 30/530 3.5.68.

Small stone church with lead roofs. Chancel, nave, south porch, west tower. Norman
chancel arches (with C15 tracery), north and south doorways. Lower stage of tower
late C13 or early C14, upper part C15 with pinnacles, embattled parapet, wrought
iron weather vane on apex of low hipped lead roof. Nave has some C13 windows, clerestory
with Samwell family hatchments between small windows. South porch 1594.
Vase shaped font. Knightley chancel monument with alabaster effigies, 1537. Samwell
family wall monuments include 1 carved, 1835, by John Whiting. Rood screen reset
at west end.

The Church of St Michael, Upton Hall, Gothic Arch and Aviary form a group.

Listing NGR: SP7174760235

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.