History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Weldon, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4941 / 52°29'38"N

Longitude: -0.6348 / 0°38'5"W

OS Eastings: 492782

OS Northings: 289336

OS Grid: SP927893

Mapcode National: GBR DW5.NB2

Mapcode Global: VHFND.YK8X

Plus Code: 9C4XF9V8+J3

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 25 February 1957

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372577

English Heritage Legacy ID: 229959

Location: Weldon, North Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN17

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Weldon

Built-Up Area: Weldon

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Weldon with Deene St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in


SP9289 (North side)
16/177 Church of St. Mary


Church. Early C13 origins, mainly late C13, C14, west tower rebuilt C18, north
chapel added 1862. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and west
tower. Lead roofs. Aisled nave and chancel, west tower and south porch. South
elevation of chancel of one-window range with C14 three-light window with
reticulated tracery. South chapel abuts one bay of chancel. Shallow gabled roof
with castellated ashlar parapet. 5-light Perpendicular east window with
castellated gable parapet above. North elevation of chancel of one-window range
with 3-light Perpendicular window. North chapel abuts in similar way to south
chapel. South aisle of 3-window range including south chapel. Central C14
three-light window with reticulated tracery flanked by 2- and 3-light
Perpendicular windows with 3 stage ashlar buttresses between. Lean-to roof with
castellated ashlar parapet and 2 gargoyles. C19 two- and 3-light east and west
windows. Left hand bay has Perpendicular porch with large castellated parapet
and gargoyles. Outer arch has 4-centred head and cluster shafts. Inside the
walls have triple arcading with cluster shafts. North aisle including north
chapel of 4-window range with 3 C14 three-light square-head window to centre and
right, all with carved label stops: and 3-light C19 window to far left. North
door between window to right and 2-stage buttresses between other windows.
Castellated ashlar parapet with corbel table and central gargoyle. C19 two- and
3-light east and west windows. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of C14 two
light windows with 4-centred heads. Shallow gable roof with castellated ashlar
parapet and 2 gargoyles to east side. 3-stage unbuttressed west tower with flat
band between second and third stages. West door with broad single light window
above with pointed head. Square tablet to west and south face of second stage
having clock face on south side with sundial above. 2-light bell-chamber
openings to each face of third stage have C18 Gothick tracery with roundels.
Plain panelled parapet with moulded cornice below. Obelisk pinnacles, with ball
finials, at corners. Octagonal wood cupula with glazed sides having glazing
bars. Lead roof with wrought iron weather vane. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade,
south is late C13 with roll moulded and chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers
and stiff-leaf capitals, south chapel arcade is similar. Perpendicular north
arcade has piers with a hollow chamfer towards nave and aisles and shafts
towards the arch openings. Double chamfered chancel arch and early C13
semi-circular tower arch with carved head on capital. Roofs restored C19 and C20
retain some original timbers. Perpendicular double piscina and sedilia with
trefoil head in south chapel. Niche to left of south chapel altar has steep
triangular crocketted head. Frieze with cusping, below adjacent window. Stained
glass: fragments of medieval glass in north aisle, north-east window, part
depicting arms of Bassett family. C17 Flemish glass west tower window depicting
the Adoration of the Magi, at one time given by Lord Nelson to Sir William
Hamilton. C19 stained glass to chancel and south chapel east window, the latter
is by Kempe. Monuments: various C17 inscribed floor tablets. C17 and C18 tablets
in chancel including inscriptions to Dr. Greeves, Thomas Mainwaring and George
Jeffreys. South chapel, south wall, Henry Pratt died 1595, inscribed plaque with
decorated pilasters and obelisks above. 2 inscribed C18 tablets, to right, to
Goode family have reeded pilasters, tablet to William Goode died 1761 on
opposite wall. Other C19 tablets. Font C15 is attached to north aisle pillar.
The unusual glazed lantern is said to have been a beacon light to guide
travellers through Rockingham forest.
(Buildings of England: p.237)

Listing NGR: SP9278289336

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.